Chapter 10

I knew it.

It was just like I expected.

The more Cindy and Elena hung out, the less she hung out with me.

It almost seemed like a joke, how close they were. Cindy and I used to do everything together, but now she does everything with Elena.

However, she offered for me to sit with them at lunch in the cafeteria one day, which caught me by surprise.

Elena and all of her friends were talking, Cindy joining in the conversation a few times. They all seemed to adore her. They accepted Cindy into their little group very quickly. I was there, trying to muster up conversation but no one seemed to care.

Every time I said something, one of the other girls would offer a small smile or a light giggle. But I can tell they didn't like me.

One day after school, I called Cindy and invited her over. I knew she would say yes because I overheard Elena talking about plans with her family. With Elena busy, I knew Cindy would finally have time for me.

I waited on the couch for her to arrive. Once she knocked on the door, I let her in and we trailed off to my bedroom.

The conversation started off simple. We talked about school, movies, and then soon enough, the elephant in the room was addressed.

"So, what do you think about Elena?" Cindy asked.

"Well, I don't know. She's okay I guess. There's something off about her." I replied. Cindy gave me a weird look.

"Huh? What do you mean?" She asked, sitting at the end of my bed.

"I don't really like her." I told her the truth.

Cindy seemed to be offended. "Why not? She's the nicest girl in the school. She's amazing."

I just shrugged my shoulders.

"I love Elena. She's one of my best friends, like you. I wish you liked her and got to know her, so we can all be friends." Cindy frowned.

"I was your best friend first." I snapped by accident. I didn't mean to come off so rudely.

"You're still my best friend." Cindy said in a low voice. "Why do you hate her so much? What did she ever do to you?"

"Nothing. I just don't like her. She's stuck up and rude and every time I try to talk to her, she ignores me or pushes me away. And now she stole you from me. You were my best friend first!" I pressed.

Cindy got up and crossed her arms, obviously upset with me. "So what? I can be friends with whoever I want. You're just rude. You hate her for no reason. You're just jealous." Cindy snapped back at me.

"Elena understands me and she accepts everyone. You hate her so much because you're so jealous of her." Cindy said, making her way towards the door. "I'm going home."

I didn't mean to be so rude to her. I didn't mean to make her feel that way, to tear her apart from Elena. Or maybe I did. It was hard to understand how I felt. Cindy was the only friend I had, yet somehow Elena took her from me. Judging from how upset Cindy was, it was hard to believe we were still friends. But I knew that if I just gave her some time and talked to her the next day, everything will be fine.