Chapter 79: Nosebleed

Don't know how many will continue reading now when Zayn's left but..
_______________
Waking me up at 4pm is the slight mumbling and movement coming from Zayn's side of the bed.

Reaching for my phone and pressing the home button to get just enough light to see Zayn, I yawn and reach out for his surprisingly damp arm.

- "Zayn?" I whisper softly but he just turns and says something again that I can't make any sense of.

I try and put my palm on his cheek but he flinches and squirms away, breathing in quick pants.

- "Zayn," I turn the small lamp on his nightstand on which is surprisingly bright and I have to squint to see.

- "Zayn!" I shake his arm this time, and he gives a little flinch, but eventually turns around to face me, also squinting as he sighs deeply.

- "What.." he asks confused looking around rather desoriented, rubbing his eyes like a little child.

- "You had a nightmare," I say. "you alright?"

He runs his hand through his probably sweaty hair and sighs as I turn off the lights again and scootch closer to him.

- "Zayn?"

- "Yeah," he says. "I'm fine,"

We lie there for probably half a minute before Zayn sits up.

- "Right, this sounds weird but would you mind if I like- went out for a quick run?" He asks, suggesting he is probably not so fine.

- "Now?" Who runs this late?

- "You know I do sometimes. To clear my head. And I'm already soaked in my own sweat so, might as well.. make it worse," he gets up and looks through his curtains to check if it raining but it isn't.

- "Uhm. Sure?" i say, still a bit flustered as how he has energy to run right now.

- "So," he turns the small lamp on again and opens a drawer in his dresser and puts on a shirt and some football shorts, and pulls his hair back and into some sort of a thin sportsy hairband. I haven't even noticed, but his hair has gotten quite long.

- "I'll probably take a shower and sneak back into bed in like fourty-five minutes alright? Night?" He squeezes my calf through the duvet before he heads out.

No wonder he sometimes falls asleep in art.

**

Zayn's POV

Monday I go to school having only taken one line. It's not a lot but I definitely feel it still.
My head is all clear in a weird way, like too clear.
However I do drive a lot slower to school than I normally would, just to be on the safe side, but also because slow seems sort of fast to me right now anyway.

Even though I hate myself for it and even though it's pretty fucking hars, I do my best to avoid Zoe for the first couple of classes until most of the high has gone away.
Not that I think she will suspect anything, but still.

My friends say i do stuff when I'm affected, like I restlessly tap my fingers on whatever or tap my foot or move my legs a lot when I sit down. So just like my driving, it's just to be on the safe side.

After lunch I decide with myself to meet up with her at her locker where I know she'll show up to pick up whatever book any minute. However Styles is there instead of her.

**

Harry's POV

- "Hey.."

The voice of Zayn Malik makes me look up from my phone and for a second I find myself wondering why he stopped to talk to me, as I realize he's waiting for Zoe.

- "Hi," I say, taking a step away when I realize I still need my English book in my locker, so I hesitantly step back again and open the lock while Zayn watches me with a smirk on his face as blood suddenly starts running down his nose, startling both of us I think.

I stop what I'm doing, staring stupidly at him as he mutters a quick "fuck", his hands flying up to his nose to try and stop the bleeding with no use.

Biting helplessly into my cheek, not knowing how to handle this very awkward situation I rememer the bag of tissues I always keep in my backpack and reach down for it and hand it to him.

He hesitantly accepts them and uses two to press them against his nostrils to stop it while tilting his head upwards.

- "I'm fine dont look at me like that. It'll stop in a minute," he says, looking around to see if we're causing a scene, but no one is even looking.

- "What happened?"
He scowls at me despite having just helped him.

- "I got a nose bleed" he states shortly as if what the hell does it look like, sort of making it sound like that happens often.

As he has cleaned up his nose, Zoe joins us, giving us both a weird look.

- "Hi you two?" She smiles, slightly lifting an eyebrow but I just glance at Zayn who has quickly thrown his hand along with the tissues down his pockets in a smooth movement.

- "You okay?" She asks him, giving him a slight frown mixed with a smile.

- "Yeah? Fine. Hi babe," Zayn smiles charmingly and she pulls both of us in for each a hug, which doesn't seem to please Zayn judging from the glance he gives me.

- "Though, I gotta real quick because Tamara and I have this presentation that we have to just practise for. But see you later or something?" She looks at Zayn who seems strangely relieved, giving her a quick nod before she turns her back on us again and walk around the corner.

Wow. That was easy.
I glance at Zayn, frowning.

- "What?" he scuffs.

- "You just lied to her.."
He scowls at me for probably the third time today already, cleaning his nose a bit more.

- "No I just told her I'm fine,"
Oh. And then I get it.
Nosebleeds. He's snorting.

I knew he used to do bussiness selling that stuff - mainly heard it through Jai, but I didnt really consider that he had a drug problem himself. But of course he has.