the most dangerous game

she was silent when Vyn set their plates at the table. her arms and legs were no longer bound together. as she had no reason to try and escape now. 

"we can play after dinner." Vyn said. 

he set a tea cup in front of her and smiled gently. but she gave no reaction to having heard his words. 

she knew the likelihood of her winning was low. but if she could get some luck and be dealt a good hand, then she could win. but she couldn't leave everything down to chance. if she lost... if she lost she might never get a chance to leave again. 

"how is it?" Vyn asked.

she took a small bite of the food, it was delicious as usual. 

"good."

he smiled, took a sip of his wine and set down his cup. 

"im glad, i made sure to cook it just how you'd like it."

she nodded slowly, forcing the piece of food down her throat. it wasn't that she wasn't hungry, she just felt as if she might throw up. 

"did you listen to my recordings?" Vyn asked. 

she nodded her head taking another bite. Vyns eyes lit up, happy to hear that his lover had listened to him all day. 

"and?"

y/n was silent. 

his smile became slightly cold. he didn't enjoy being ignored. 

"i asked a question."

y/n glared up at him. and for the first time he saw hatred in her eyes. those beautiful eyes, that up until now had looked at him with such love. 

Vyn fell silent, and the two ate quietly. 

it wasn't long before Vyn had finished.

she was silent as he took her plate from in front of her. he walked into the kitchen while Y/n waited anxiously. 

his back was turned. she could run right now. 

nothing was stopping her. 

nothing at all. now could be her best chance. 

but if she got caught, he would hurt her worse if she got caught when she won the game. 

Vyn came back after a minute, Y/ns eyes were glazed over and she was staring at his door. 

she wanted to run. 

he went to the cupboard and picked out his cards. 

"do you know how to shuffle?" he asked. 

he pulled a chair a little closer to Y/n, and noticed her body tense in front of him. was he really that scary to be around for her? maybe this lovers quarrel would take a little longer to get through than he first thought. 

you see, to Vyn, Y/n was just upset because she felt like he wasn't around her enough. she didn't actually want to leave. she just wanted to feel wanted. he didn't think she hated him, and he didn't think there was anything wrong with how he treated her. it was just a small fight. he wasn't prepared for her to run away when the game was all over with. 

"no i don't." she said softly. 

he wanted to touch her. reach out and hold her smaller body up against his. even with bruises she was so pretty to look at. why did she have to start fights like this all the time? was it because she had a bad childhood? no. vyn had looked into her background and found nothing to indicate that her home life was bad. she was just, overdramatic. yeah, he had done nothing wrong. this was all her fault.