thirty-five

Chan wakes up alone. His eyes are still closed but he's aware that it's still too early for the morning. Which begs the question of why he's in bed alone and where is Jeongin? Even in his sleep-fogged mind, he clearly remembers falling asleep to Jeongin's gentle humming and the younger toe-ing on his shins and ankles.

He forces his eyes open to confirm that the lack of warmth in his side was due to his boyfriend not sound asleep next to him and Chan couldn't help the half-pout half-frown that morphs on his drowsy face because Jeongin shouldn't be out of bed yet.

Chan stretches whilst he turns over in bed, their romp from earlier in the night still apperceived in his bones. He sees the thin drapes of the bedroom's glass wall drawn to the sides and Chan is vividly aware of closing them earlier in the evening before rolling around in bed with Jeongin. Past the opened drapes and the terrace outside of the bedroom is a view of the beach, where some feet in front of the sea sits Jeongin on the sand, back facing the cottage and in turn Chan, but Chan can recognize his shirt on Jeongin's body.

He's still sleepy but no matter how drowsy he is, he's stubborn; so if he's resolved to not going back to sleep until Jeongin is back in bed with him, then he's going to tuck Jeongin back in bed even if it means carrying him inside.

Chan flops his head back on the pillow and examines Jeongin's form, wondering why his boyfriend is outside and what he's thinking. He takes note of his shoulders, trying to decipher if they were shaking despite the distance but Chan can't figure out if the singer is crying. Chan doesn't think he is but he can't rule that out. Jeongin's phone is still next to his on the nightstand so the singer isn't up out on the beach giggling over something on the internet or texting with their friends.

In the end, he realizes that he won't find out if he continues to simply stare from the bed so he gets to his feet and instead of pulling a shirt on, he simply draws the blanket over his shoulders and uses that as a shield against the chilly night air. He trudges out of the bedroom and out onto the terrace, momentarily wondering if he should wear his slippers but after seeing Jeongin's pair on the terrace, he decides to go out into the beach barefoot as well. He's already dragging the blanket across the sand, anyway.

As Chan walks, he keeps his head up to admire the stars. Seoul's atmosphere doesn't allow for much stars to be seen in the sky so Chan is still in awe of how bright the stars here in the island are. He doesn't look up for long, though, because he's reached his own personal star that lights up not just Seoul, but Chan's entire world.

Chan sidles the still singer and stands in front of him. He looks down to see Jeongin looking at his feet, hugging his knees to his chest and simply staring. Chan doesn't think Jeongin had moved from his spot for a while now; he probably hasn't felt time pass as well so it won't do Chan any good to ask him how long he's been outside.

"Shooting star," Chan coos gently as he drops down to his knees in front of his boyfriend. Jeongin seems to only notice him then, taking his eyes off his feet to look at Chan. "what are you doing out here?"

Jeongin gives him a close mouthed smile. "I wanted some fresh air."

Chan scoots closer by his knees and opens his arms to invite Jeongin inside the makeshift cocoon he made using the thick blanket. Jeongin's smile turns genuine, no matter how small, before he lets Chan engulf him in a tight hug.

"Why did you bring the blanket?" Jeongin laughs into Chan's bare shoulder. Chan is just-woke-up warm. He cuddles up to Chan as best he can with Chan kneeling on the sand and Jeongin's knees between them. "And outside without a shirt on."

Chan kisses Jeongin's knee. "You're wearing my shirt."

"You have other shirts, Chan." Jeongin deadpans. His boyfriend is like an overgrown puppy when he's only just woken up. Jeongin loves that he gets to see this side of Chan so much.