thirty four

Violet's POV
2 weeks later

I'm a mother.

This sounds weird, but it's true. The last week has been a rollercoaster of emotions. Getting used to being parents is arduous, we've barely had time to take care of ourselves since the twins arrived in our lives. Our little family is doing great, we are the happiest we've ever been. Nothing can erase the blissful smile on my face. Harry is amazing with Aimée and Grace, he feeds them at night, changes their diapers, he bathes them... One night, when he wasn't returning from their bedroom, I caught him watching them sleep listening to the music of the mobile. It was the sweetest thing ever. It's like he was scared that they might disappear during the night.

They're so tiny and so light that I'm terrified that I might hurt them every time I pick them up. However, Harry doesn't seem scared. Whenever he picks them up it's like they are an extension of his arm. Being a father looks good on him. Is it ok to say that he looks hot with a baby in his arms? To my right, Harry is laying on the couch with his eyes closed, Grace sleeping on his chest. He tucked her into a baby blanket, she looks like an angel like that. He always fears that they might be cold, hot, or sad so he is extra cautious around them. Aimée babbles in my arms, her eyes wide open looking straight in mine. Her eyes are grey at the moment, but I can't wait for them to have their true color in six months. I'm wondering if their eyes will be green or brown. Or what if they don't have the same eye color?

"I love you so much sweetie," I whisper to my daughter. She closes her eyes again, a small pout on her lips.

"You never called me sweetie before but I'll take it." Harry stretches his legs in front of him, yawning. I didn't notice he was awake. One of his hands is carefully placed on Grace, his thumb rubbing circles on her back.

"I love you too." I stand up and put Aimée in her crib. She stretches and goes back to sleep like nothing happened.I approach Harry and plant a kiss on his forehead, on his nose, and his mouth. "Convinced?" I ask.

He frowns and shakes his head. "I'm not sure, would you mind doing that again?" I smile and do it again.
In the end, I kiss Grace on her forehead. She doesn't move, still asleep. Harry takes her tiny body in his arms and puts her in the crib next to Aimée's.

We sit next to each other, my head resting on his shoulder, my hands around his arm. "I'm so happy." Harry blurts out. The smile on my face grows. "Me too."

"You know you're amazing right?" I look at him with the biggest smile plastered on my face. He cups his hands around my face a kisses me. "You're the amazing one here. I adore you." I giggle and slap his arm. "Don't quote the songs you write about me! Do not ever release that by the way, not that I don't love it but it's embarrassing."

The thought hits me when I see him smirking. "Wait a minute. Do you have other songs written about me?" He shrugs his shoulders and tries to keep a straight face. There is a knock on the front door. People don't ring the bell anymore, scared they might wake the girls up, or us. We are very much sleep deprived and thankfully, people know so they don't bother us much by visiting in person without texting first.

Harry gets up from the couch "I'll get that!"

"Saved by the bell..." I mutter understanding my breath, making a mental note to search more about that.

He unlocks the door and opens it. "Hey!" I hear him say. I try to peak a hint of the person's face but even with my neck twisted to the right I can't see. "Hello, hope I'm not bothering you?" I recognize the voice instantly.

I jump from the couch and sprint towards the door. "Millie!" I hug her so hard that I'm shaking. "Happy to see you too!" She chuckles. I bury my head in the crook of her neck. I've missed her so much, she's been away for a few months. "Now, could you let me breathe, honey I'm turning purple."

I let go of her and take a step back. I look at her, prettier than ever. She's tanned and her hair has gotten lighter with the sun I guess. I bet she came back from some Caribbean island. I haven't seen her for a long time. She told me that she was going to take a break from the stress of city life to some sunny and hot island. Didn't she say that she was going away for...

"Wait a minute. You were supposed to be gone until December... How do you know that Aimée and Grace are born?" I point my finger at her, my brows frowning. I didn't text her, did I? Not that I'm not grateful that she is here but I wanted to FaceTime her and show her the girls to get her reaction in live.

She looks at Harry, who looks at me, I look at the two of them, my eyes switching from her to him. "You didn't think I would miss seeing my nieces? Harry texted me. I also saw his Instagram post."

I turn to Harry. "Instagram post? Huh?" He instantly starts brushing his hair with his hand. Just like he always does when he's anxious. "Yeah. You know how the media are when they find out that kind of thing by themselves. That was one way for me to stop the rumors."

I can't keep my straight face any longer. "Stop looking so scared of me. C'mon, I was kidding. You're allowed to do what you want, remember?" I elbow him in the arm gently. The girls' loud cries make us realize that they're here. Other than that, they're very quiet. I walk towards the living room, Millie follows me in while Harry goes get the baby bottles. It's time to feed them.

Millie looks inside the cribs and puts a hand on her mouth in awe. "They are the prettiest newborn I have ever seen. And I'm not saying this because you're here, no, no, I truly mean it. Look at them. They're dolls. Usually, newborns look all soggy and ugly but they look beautiful." She puts her hand on my shoulder, still leaning over the crib.

Harry arrives with the bottles. "Do you want to feed them?" I ask Millie.

"Really? Please, I just want to hug these cuties." She speaks in a baby voice looking at the crying babies. I've already done that and now I'm addicted. In my defense, Harry does it too but he is worse, he never stops.

I take Grace in my arms and bounce her a little. Millie sits on the couch and opens her arms for Grace. I place her in her arms, my best friend immediately kisses her forehead and whispers to her hear. She bounces to calm her while Harry is giving Millie the bottle. Her eyes stay fixed on Grace as she takes the bottle from Harry's hands. I watch Harry taking Aimée in his arms and giving her her bottle. Millie détachés her eyes from my daughter and looks at me with the sweetest smile.

"She is so perfect. I knew you two would have beautiful children the day Violet told me she was pregnant but I never imagined you two would have fucking angels." She stops. "Oh! Sorry. No bad word around my favorite nieces."

I roll my eyes. "You don't have any other nieces."

She shushes me and continues to look at Grace admiringly. Harry puts down Aimée in the crib and goes over to Millie to take Grace. She blows a kiss to Grace, watching as Harry puts her in the crib too.

"So," She says, shifting her body to be faced with me. "How do you feel?"

I sigh. "It's tiring, I'm not going to lie but it's so worth it. When I see their faces when they cry it makes my heart shatter. I always feel like they're hurt when they cry, I often forget that it's just because they can't talk and it is their only way of expressing their needs but still... I'm overwhelmed with happiness every day when I see them. I'm overwhelmed with happiness when I see Harry with them. He's so amazing. He helps a lot."

We both turn our heads and see Harry in the kitchen, washing the bottles carefully, his back turned to us. He put an apron on, which is funny because he never does usually. Unexpectedly, arms wrap around me. Millie puts her head on my shoulder and closed her eyes. "You're a mum now. There's no coming back, you're a true adult." She sighs.

I caress her hair gently. "I know right. It's... scary? I want to do everything right, I don't want to mess up. I'm not allowed to mess up."

"You're not going to mess up. You're the most dedicated person I know. I love you, always." Her big brown eyes are now fixed on me. She gives me her pinky finger. I smile at the memory of us doing this in middle school.

"I love you too. Always." I lock my pinky finger with hers.

Harry sits next to us. "What have I missed? Is it hug time?" He shrugs his shoulders and opens his arms to wrap them around Millie and me. I'm squished between both of them but it's fine. I've never felt better.