twenty three

Buckle up ;)

28 weeks pregnant

My back hurts. It hurts so bad. I've read a lot about being 28 weeks pregnant and basically every mother experience this. Pregnant women are bound to suffer for the nine months they are pregnant. I'm reading in my bedroom, laying on my bed in a starfish position. I'm reading a book that Harry loves. He recommend it to me, thinking that it could occupy me during my last semester. Talking about Harry, he's currently on the phone with someone since at least an hour.

He's pacing back and forth in his office, his hand in his hair. He keeps looking at his watch, as if he is late for something. I think that he's shouting at the person on the other side of the phone. He's been really on edge lately but I can't seem to figure out why. He finally hangs up and get out of the office to come sit next to me. He sighs and closes his eyes.

"Is everything ok?" I ask, turning myself to the side to look at him.

"Yes it's just Jeff. Are you reading the book I gave you?" He takes it and flip it around to see the cover.

"I didn't think I would have liked it but I do. It's slowly getting interesting. Do you want to go have dinner tonight?"

"I can't, I need to have lunch with Jeff. He says it's important. I'm leaving in thirty minutes." As Harry says this, my smile falls down. When he notices it, his hands cups my cheeks.

"Hey, what's wrong?"

"I don't know... I just thought we could have a nice dinner together. You've been busy a lot lately and I feel like we don't spend much time together anymore. I'm going to start to think you prefer Jeff over me. I might start getting jealous." I force a chuckle. I feel like I barely see him anymore. It's like he is back on the road.

"No, no love. I'm sorry that you feel that way. I'm going to start being more attentive to my schedule."

I nod and take my book back. "I'm going to get ready." Harry goes in the bathroom and turns the water on. Well I guess that tonight I'll bake a cake. Yeah, that'll occupy me.

****

Thirty minutes later, Harry comes downstairs and takes the keys to his car. "I'm going to go, I'm already late." He kisses me and opens the door.

Suddenly he stops and looks back at me with a smile. "What?" I ask. He leans towards me and kisses me again. " I love you Violet."

This is the first time he ever said that. I close my mouth that had opened in surprise and let a smile take over my face. I've been thinking about those three words, I just never said them to a guy before, by fear I guess. Now I don't have any doubts I can say them too. "I love you too." He smiles, closes the door and leaves.

****

It's one a.m. and I can't sleep, it's worrying me that Harry isn't coming home. He sent me a message to tell me he was coming back an hour ago. My eyes drift off to the door of his office. I heard him shout at someone on the phone earlier, but he wouldn't tell me what was wrong. Something is clearly bothering him but he doesn't want to share his worries with me.

I know I shouldn't do what my brain is telling me to do. But it's so tempting... My curiosity will kill me one day. I sigh and get up, walking to the door. I stand in front of it for a minute and hesitate to put my hand on the doorknob.

I twist the doorknob open and enter the room. I take a quick scan around the room, to see if there are any changes that could lead me on the way of why he was so angry. His office is very clean and organized, as always. No papers nowhere, except for one that is turned back on the desk. I carefully stop every move and verify that I don't hear Harry's car but no, he isn't here. I take the paper and read it.