Chapter Forty-Four

Cole hadn't planned on going to the coffee shop the next afternoon, but Snow called him, wanting to talk things over, and he dragged himself off the couch and into clean clothes. Ugh.

After locking Sadie in the bathroom and collecting his wallet-why he had one was beyond him, really-he left the apartment and made his way to the bus stop. He was just getting on when he remembered that he hadn't left a note for Nancy. Oops. Oh, well. He'd be back before she was, more than likely.

"Cole! Cole, I have good news...dear God, you look awful."

Oh, so he'd looked lovely before? How nice.

"Just a cold. I don't think I'm contagious." No need to worry the guy. "You wanted to see me?"

"A man was in the other day." Snow began. "He took a liking to a couple of the pictures you've done for us-one of the skeletons and one of the trees."

Nice. So when was he getting a check in the mail?

"That's good."

"He didn't buy them."

Fucker.

"Okay."

"He wanted to meet with you instead."

Why?

"I'm confused." he admitted. "Why would he want to meet with me?"

Snow chuckled and leaned across the desk to grip his hands. Cole winced and tried to draw back, but his efforts went unnoticed.

"He wants to fund you, Cole! This man owns one of the top galleries in the city!"

He was not going to faint. He was not.

He was saved from fainting by a vigorous coughing fit. The next thing he was aware of was a water glass sliding across the table and Snow's voice saying, "Cole? You all right, kid?"

He held up a finger. A few minutes later the coughing died down and he gulped half of the water.

"I-I'm okay."

"You sure?"

He nodded and took another gulp. Snow reached over to slap his back a few times and he cringed. What was it with this guy and touching? He wasn't choking!

"I'm okay." he said again, steadier this time. "Thanks for the water."

"Do you need another cup?" He shook his head. "So? Do you want to meet him? I have his number written down somewhere..."

"Please." Maybe once he had the number he would feel like he was in reality again. "If you have it..."

"Here." Paper slapped against his palm. "Go home, Cole. You're white as a sheet."

Wasn't he always sheet-coloured? He would have to ask Nancy when he got home.

* * *

He didn't know how he got out of there, and he didn't remember walking by the bust stop, but by the time he realised it he was halfway home and it wasn't raining. He would walk the rest of the way, then. Why not?

He made it home all right and collapsed onto the couch after letting Sadie out. She jumped onto his back and kneaded his skin a few times before curling up at the base of his spine. Ohh, he felt awful. Fucking awful. He couldn't breathe, it was cold, and his throat was killing him.

He'd been laying there for several minutes when he felt the urge to start coughing again. Deep breaths, deep breaths...forget it.

His coughing scared Sadie into the kitchen and he got up on his hands and knees, struggling for breath. Jesus, he'd never had this much trouble breathing.