Chapter Two

AN: Song for this chapter is Alice in Chains' Them Bones. This will be a Sunday updater, by the way.

* * *

Nancy loved her friend. Really, she did. But Janet Rider had one little problem, and it was her blabbermouth.

“Have you seen the guy in the corner? He’s gorgeous! I’d love to get him alone for ten minutes…”

Nancy tried not to gag. She really didn’t want to know what Janet would do to the poor guy. There was such a thing as ‘TMI’.

“Janet, I don’t…”

“Are you blind? Girl, you need a date.”

No. No dates. Dates would lead to sex and that was bad.

“No.” she said quickly. “I’m fine, Jan, I really am. Look, I have to pay attention. I failed the last quiz and I don’t want to fail the next one.”

“You’re no fun.” her friend complained. “Whatever.”

With that, Janet turned to her other neighbor. Nancy sighed and leaned against the wall. It was impossible to pay attention in this stupid class-the teacher had a monotone voice that would put the world’s most hyper child to sleep.

“In 1666, England…”

Ugh. She liked history, really she did, but ohh this guy bored her to death. There needed to be a law against boring professors. She would bet that the failure rate would drop dramatically if such a law was passed.

She wondered if they had any appointments today. There hadn’t been any made when she left yesterday afternoon, but that didn’t mean that was still true…wait. They did have someone coming in today. The new guy. Cole or something…the one that looked like a kicked puppy.

She sighed. She doubted he’d show up, to be honest. Heroin was a bitch to kick, if the other patients they’d had were any indicator. Most of the ones that came in either OD’d or quit trying to kick the habit. This one probably wouldn’t be any different.

Nancy rubbed her temples and wondered how much longer this class would take. Probably forever. Or worse yet: this was Hell and she’d never get out. Ugh.

                                                                              * * *

            While Nancy was suffering through class, Cole was seeking an ice pack for his back. Sean had left early that morning and it was safe to come downstairs. The kitchen was littered with empty beer bottles and Cole grimaced. It was tempting to clean up, but Sean didn’t always like it and besides, his back was killing him.

            There were no ice packs to be had and he ended up filling a plastic baggie with ice and going back upstairs.

            He pulled his shirt off and twisted around to see how bad it was. It was bad. The thing was a hideous purple color and it didn’t look like it would be healing any time soon. The ice made it sting and he had to take it off after a few minutes.

            He glanced at his reflection again and shuddered. He hated mirrors sometimes.

            Cole pulled his black sweater over his head and turned away from the mirror. He needed coffee. He could have done with a fix, too, but he had an appointment today and he really did want to make this work. If it worked he wouldn’t be so dependent on Sean anymore and he could move out. He needed to get out before Sean killed him by accident.

            Hopefully the strawberry-blonde girl would be there today. She’d been nice. And cute…but he would keep that opinion to himself.

            Cole sighed and fell back on his bed. His head hurt. So, for that matter, did everything else. He wondered if he would be sick.

            He drifted a bit and dreamed of pencils and needles and seagulls.

                                                                          * * *

            Nancy was relieved to find that it was only her and Dr. Grey in today.  She hated the other doctor, Dr. Call-Me-Tom Jones.

            Ugh.

            She was trying to get used to the new system when the door eased open and a pile of paper dropped onto her desk.

            “Hi.”

            “Hello.”

            “Dr. Grey will be free in a few minutes. Take a seat.”

            He shuffled over and sat down in a yellow chair. Nancy thought he looked like a black-and-white cartoon character that had been inserted into a color sequence.

            Dr. Grey was a little busy right now and Nancy hoped he’d hurry up. Cole had brought an incredibly awkward silence in with him and she was having trouble concentrating.

            Cole coughed and Nancy looked up. He was hunched over like a rag doll and Nancy hoped he wouldn’t throw up.

            “Cole?” she asked hesitantly. “Would you like a drink or anything?”

            He looked up and shook his head very slowly.

            “I’m okay. Thank you.”

            She had to strain to hear him.

            “Okay. If you need something, just ask.”

            He didn’t say anything and Nancy started a file for him. She had been right-his handwriting was no better on the paperwork he’d handed back. This was going to take her forever to work through. Oh, well. It wasn’t as though she had anything better to do today.

            Dr. Grey finally finished whatever it was he was doing and Nancy sent Cole back. She was relieved to get rid of him, as horrible as that may have sounded. She didn’t like being alone with men.