Chapter Thirty-Two

AN: Stone Temple Pilots' 'Sour Girl'.

* * *

Nancy was working on her math homework the next afternoon when there was a knock on her door.

"Yeah?"

"Can I come in?"

Shit! She hadn't woken him, had she? She didn't know how she could have, but stranger things had happened.

"Sure."

He was wrapped in the comforter and staring at the ground and she wondered what he wanted. He didn't look too well.

"C-can I stay in here?"

"Yeah."

He curled up on the edge of the bed and closed his eyes. His face was flushed and Nancy wondered if his fever had gone up any more. She didn't really want to check, to be honest.

"How are you feeling?"

He groaned. That was enough of an answer for her and she let him be.

He looked so out of place on her bed, like a teddy bear in a graveyard. He looked small, too, but that might have been the bulky comforter around his shoulders. Nancy wished he'd either go back to the couch or go to sleep. She didn't feel too comfortable with him in here. It was like...like...like having Daddy go buy tampons. Fine, but awkward.

She hadn't realized she'd been staring until he asked, "Is there something on my face? Do I have chicken pox or something?"

"No. Sorry. Just spaced."

He moved away from the edge of the bed and closed his eyes again. She really would have to check if his fever had gone up. Great. She wasn't looking forward to that.

"Cole?" He made a small noise. "I-I have to check your fever again. You really don't look good."

"I'm okay."

"Please? Two seconds."

He finally nodded and she put her hand against his head. He had his eyes very firmly closed and his breathing suddenly sped up. She drew her hand back as quickly as possible and said, "Not much. Just a cold."

He shrugged. She went back to her homework.

She thought he was asleep when he mumbled, "Sorry."

"Why?"

God, he wasn't still worried about their fight, was he? Great. She'd moved past it. Was she supposed to feel guilty now?

"I don't mean to...to pull back. I can't help it."

She wasn't so sure she liked the sound of that. Cole never mentioned his father, not even in passing, and she didn't think she wanted to hear about him. Especially not now, when he was tired and sick and probably not too clear on what he was saying.

"It's okay."

"I don't mean to." he said again. "I'm sorry. I'm just not used to it, Nance, I really can't help it."

She didn't know what to say. On one hand, she knew she should probably try to comfort him. On the other hand, she didn't really want to discuss this, not right now. Maybe someday, but not now.

"It's okay." she said again. "Just go to sleep, you look tired."

He nestled into his comforter and shut up. Nancy wondered if she was supposed to say something else. She didn't. If he wanted to make conversation, he'd start talking again.

"Nance?"

She decided to give up on her math homework.

"Yeah?"

"Y-you don't mind, do you? My being in here?"

"No." she lied. "You're fine."

He sighed and reached up to put his arms around the pillow. When he was lying like this, he looked a lot younger than he really was. Almost childlike.

"Okay."

"Nancy?"

"Yes?"

"Thanks."

She had nothing to say to that and she didn't even try to think of something. He finally stopped talking and settled down on his side of the bed.

"Night, Cole." she said. "See you later."

He didn't answer. Nancy waited for a minute before going back to her math homework.