Chapter Thirty-One

AN: Pearl Jam again. What can I say, they have a massive body of work. Anyway, this time it's 'Wash'.

* * *

Cole was lying awake the next morning when Nancy got up for the day. She didn't have to work today, but he wasn't sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing. He kept his eyes closed until she'd gone back into her room.

He felt sick and tired and he wanted very much to just be left alone today. His throat hurt. He knew that he probably should tell Nancy that he was sick, but he didn't want to talk right now. He wasn't up for another argument.

"Cole?" When had she come in here? Was he that bad at feigning sleep? "Cole, can we talk? Please?"

He nodded and moved over a bit. She sat down on the far side of the bed and didn't say anything. He wondered what she wanted. Couldn't she see he was trying to sleep?

"I'm sorry. For being angry at you last night."

Oh, really?

"I was worried about you, Nancy." he said quietly. "I'm still worried about you. That's all."

"I know. And I'm sorry. I'm fine, that's all. You don't have to worry about me."

He snorted and sat up. He wasn't going to be getting any more sleep today, apparently.

"Really? Because it looks to me like I do. Normal people don't throw up for no good reason. Now if you're sick, or if you're stressed out or something I can understand that, but you can't just shut me out and tell me it's fine."

She huffed and stood up again.

"I can. It's none of your business. I'm fine, Cole, I mean it."

Before he could say anything, she'd disappeared into her bedroom and slammed the door. Cole rolled his eyes and pulled the blankets up over his head. He wasn't in the mood for this.

* * *

Nancy was not happy. She was trying to apologise, couldn't he see that? It wasn't easy, and he wasn't helping. Gah!

She was still scowling when she heard him start to cough. She didn't want to go out there and deal with him right now, but the coughs didn't stop and she remembered that she hadn't gotten her flu shot yet.

Great.

She went out, intending to just glance in on him and not say anything. He was still in bed, lying on his stomach and wrapped up in his blankets. She couldn't tell if he looked normal or not.

"Cole?" Her voice did not sound friendly and she cringed. She really didn't want to fight anymore. "Cole, are you okay?"

"Fine." he said sarcastically. "Go back to bed."

"Cole..." She took a deep breath and blew it out through her nostrils. "I said I was sorry. Let's not fight anymore, okay? Please?"

She hated pleading, but she hated the way her stomach felt even more. Cole was silent for a long minute before nodding.

"Okay."

Her stomach eased up a little. Not much, but a little.

Cole coughed again and pulled his blankets up to his head. Nancy stayed in the doorway and asked, "Are you okay?"

He nodded, but after a minute he shook his head.

"No."

She knew it! She inched into the room and sat down beside him. He rolled over immediately.

"What's wrong?"

"Just a cold. Sorry."

"You don't have to be sorry, it's okay." she soothed. "What's wrong, though?"

"Just a cold."

He sneezed. Nancy wondered if he had a fever and got up to look for the thermometer. She was digging through the medicine cabinet when she remembered that it had died and gotten thrown out. Damn.

"Cole?" she asked. "C-can I put my hand on your forehead? Just for a second?"

"Mm-mm."

"I need to see if you have a fever. The thermometer's broken."

He swallowed and gave her a miserable look. She sat down next to him again and waited. Eventually he nodded and she put her hand out. It was shaking and she hoped he didn't notice. Most people did this sort of thing all the time, didn't they? Her family had always done it.

Her fingers brushed lightly first against his bangs, then against his skin. She wanted very much to pull back, but she swallowed hard and pressed her fingers flush against his head.

Fever. Fine. She could feel that. Not very high, but present. That was all she needed to know. She drew her hand back and he opened his eyes again.

"Just a low fever." she said, hoping her voice wasn't shaking as badly as she thought it was. "Go back to sleep."

"Thanks, Nance." he mumbled. "I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry, too." she admitted. He gave her a small smile and sighed.

"Night."

She considered leaving to take a shower, but she was somewhat comfortable here right now. She'd stay for a while, then, at least until he went back to sleep.