Chapter Thirty-Six

AN: Soundgarden's 'Been Away Too Long'. Truer words have seldom been spoken.

* * *

The next day dragged for Nancy. She was a little worried about Cole, in all honesty. She was eating lunch when one of the nurses came out to join her.

"Hi." she said. "You're...um...God, sorry...Sarah, right?"

"Yeah. You're Nancy?"

"Mm-hm."

"Can I sit here?"

"Sure."

She didn't know Sarah all that well. She knew they'd started around the same time, but beyond that, she didn't know anything. She seemed nice enough, though.

"Are you okay? You look kinda bummed."

"Me? Oh, fine."

"You sure?"

"Yeah." she said, plastering on a big grin for emphasis. "I'm fine. Just a little tired, that's all."

"Okay."

They sat in an awkward silence for a few minutes before Nancy decided to break the ice. She really did need to try to get along with her coworkers.

"How do you like it here?"

"Great!" Sarah gushed. "Dr. Cook's really nice, and so is everyone else. You?"

"A nice change from the old place." Nancy said softly. "A very nice change."

"Where'd you work at before?"

"One of the walk-in rehab clinics."

Sarah's mouth made an 'oh' shape and she leaned forward.

"Which one?"

"Dr. Grey's."

"Oh, he's good. My cousin went there to quit smoking."

"Oh?"

"Yeah."

Maybe they would have something in common, then. A very macabre something, but it was better than nothing. Maybe they could even be friends outside of work. Maybe.

* * *

When Nancy got home later, Cole was curled up on the couch again. His eyes were hollow and he didn't react when she came into the room.

"Hey." she said. "What's up?"

"Nothing."

That was it? It didn't look like nothing.

"You okay?"

"Tired."

Well, he had had nightmares last night.

"Did you take a nap?"

"Had to draw. Coffee shop called again. They want me down there tomorrow."

Well, that was good. Who knew, maybe her boyfriend would become the next Da Vinci. Or something.

"That's good."

"Yeah."

"So what's up?"

He finally looked up at her and sighed.

"Will angst-ridden get me off the hook?"

"No."

He sat up and huddled against his pillow. Nancy took that as an invitation to sit down.

"Sorry." he mumbled. "I'm sorry, I don't...I'm fine. Really. How was your day?"

"Cole..."

"You don't want to hear it, trust me."

"If you feel like talking..."

"Nance?"

"Hm."

He took a deep breath and sat up straight.

"I'm scared. I'm scared that he'll come looking for me."

"Cole..." She sighed and shook her head. "You'll be all right. He won't find you, I promise."

"What if he does?"

"He won't. That's called stalking, which is illegal."

He shrugged. Nancy bit her lip. She wasn't bad at the whole 'motivational speech' thing, but when it came to this, she was lost.

"If you say so, Nance." he sighed. "How was work?"

"Fine." She yawned. "Just fine. What's on?"

He flopped back down and closed his eyes. He didn't look much calmer, but at least he was relaxed again.

"Nothing. Do you like the new job?"

"I love it." she gushed. "My new boss is great, and so are my coworkers."

"Good." He changed the channel. "Better than the other one?"

"Yes."

He nestled into the couch cushions and didn't ask anything else. Nancy stretched. Ohh, that felt good. Before she got too comfortable, however, she wanted to paint her nails.

She was halfway through her left hand when Cole cracked his eyes open and chuckled.

"What?"

"You look like a real college girl now."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I've seen you go out in ancient jeans and some kind of sweatshirt, but you still paint your nails religiously."

"Old habits die hard."

"Oh?"

"I got lazy in college."

"Oh."

He closed his eyes again. Nancy continued painting her nails and wondered if she still had her old makeup. It was probably rancid or something by now, but...eh, what the hell. She'd take a look tomorrow and see what she had left.