Chapter Sixteen

AN: This time it's Silverchair, with 'Pop Song For Us Rejects'. Could be Nancy and Cole's (Nole's? Cancy's? Maybe I shouldn't do ship names...) theme song. For my non-followers (whyyyy?) The House on the Moor is free on Kindle from today until July 16th. Sample's (and link) on my profile, but...it's free. C'mon, now.

* * *

Come next Wednesday, Cole was a nervous wreck. His wrist had healed up okay, considering, and he'd managed to avoid making Sean too mad, but his stomach was still shuddering.

At least his cold was gone.

He looked at his reflection, which stared right back at him.

"I can't do this." he whispered. His reflection, naturally, said nothing. He dropped his head and took a deep breath. "Wish me luck."

* * *

Traffic was bad this morning but he managed to make it there on time. Nancy didn't look up when he came in. Was that a bad sign or did she just not see him? Should he say hello or just sign in and be quiet?

He decided to sign in and go from there.

"Oh! Hi, Cole. Didn't see you come in."

Oh. That was reassuring. Somewhat.

"H-Hi, Nancy."

Good. The Y came out right this time. Not that she'd complained last time, but...forget it. Act normal.

"How's your wrist?"

Wrist? What was a wrist?

"I-it's fine."

"Are you okay? You look kinda...green."

Shit! Breathe. Just breathe.

"I-I'm fine." She didn't look convinced. "Um...Nancy?"

"Yeah?"

Relax. You're not asking her for a date. Friends. Friends get coffee all the time. Make eye contact. Deep breaths. And for God's sakes, don't stutter!

"Would you...I was wondering if maybe..." Spit it out! "Wouldyouliketogetcoffeesomtime?"

She blinked at him. Crap. That was probably a bad sign.

"I mean, it's okay if you don't, I just..."

"Cole." He shut up. "Sure."

Sure? Sure as in okay?

Now what?

"I have lunch free today at twelve-thirty if you've got time."

"Y-yeah. I've got time."

That hadn't been so hard.

Oh, who was he kidding? That was the most frightening moment of his life! It would probably remain as such unless he was held at knifepoint...and even then it would be a close second.

* * *

What did I just do?

Nancy had no idea what had possessed her to say okay. What had she been thinking? She'd lost her mind.

Well, too late now.

Did this count as a date? What would she do if it did? Crapity-crap-crap, what had she gotten herself into?

She'd worry about it when she got there.

She had just finished a new patient's file when Cole materialized in front of her. He looked scared to death. Good. She wasn't the only one who was nervous.

"Same time next week?" He nodded. "I've got fifteen minutes before the office takes an hour off for lunch. You can stay inside if you want though, they won't mind."

He nodded and sat down in the ugly yellow chair. Did she have lipstick in her purse? Damn, she couldn't remember! Oh, well. It didn't matter. She only bothered with lipstick half the time, anyway. And besides, this was not a date. She wasn't going to allow it to turn into one.

* * *

Cole had no idea what he should be doing. A lot of eye contact or not too much? Screw it-that was hard anyway. Hands? Shit...um...hands around coffee cup. That was a safe place.

After the initially silent walk to the coffee shop, the atmosphere between them had calmed down a bit. Cole still had no idea what he was doing, but Nancy didn't look like she knew, either. Good.

"How's school?"

"Finals are coming." She groaned and plunked her head down on the table. "Whatever idiot said they're all supposed to be in the same week should be roasted in the oven." Ouch. "How's it going with you?"

"I had to quit tapering off while I was sick." he mumbled. "But I'm okay."

"How's your wrist?"

"Better. Thank you."

Silence reigned again, but this time it was a comfortable one. Cole took another sip of his coffee and looked out at the rain.

"Shit!" What? "I have to get back...damn. Waiter!"

Was it that late already? Fuck! He had to get home before Sean did or he would be in big trouble.

"I have to go, too." he said, trying to keep the panic out of his voice. "I have to get home before my dad does."

"Oh?"

"He...um..." Dammit. "He forgot his keys this morning, that's all." She didn't look like she bought it. Oops. "Would you maybe...erm...like to do this again?"

To his surprise, she nodded immediately.

"Same time next week?"

That brought a smile to his face.

"Same time next week."

* * *

Cole made it home a good three hours before Sean did, thankfully. Once he was showered and changed, he went to his room to lie down. He was tired out.

That had gone well, in his opinion. She'd agreed to do it again, which was a good sign.

The sound of the rain was soothing and after a few minutes of lying there with his eyes closed, he fell asleep. In a little apartment on the other side of town, Nancy was doing the exact same thing with the exact same thoughts.