PART 9

CUT TO:

INT.GOVERNMENT OFFICE BUILDING MEN'S ROOM--DAY.

Swanwick is washing his hands in the men's room when  Lois walks in through the door behind. He doesn't see that it's her.

SWANWICK
(Without looking up properly)
This is the men's room, Miss.

LOIS
Secretary Swanwick, you haven't been returning my calls.

Swanwick grimaces, looking up.

SWANWICK
Miss Lane. If you're looking for an interview, Major Ferris is just outside that door.  

LOIS
You're treating me like a stranger ?

SWANWICK
I'm treating you like a reporter.

Lois purses her lips, irritated.

LOIS
Alright. Is the US government taking an interest in internal state matters and orchestrating shadow interventions? Moving desirable persons of interest into positions of power?  Providing experimental rounds to terrorists?

Swanwick pauses, considering her, dismayed.

SWANWICK
Y'know, with balls like yours, you belong in here.  What's your source on this? A tin foil hat?

He strides past her out into the hallway outside. Lois persistently follows.

LOIS
No, It's not tin. It's metal.(Holds out the plastic ziplock bag with the metal bullet in it) . Fired in the Superman incident at Hunter Fort . Experts at the pentagon can't ID it. I'm guessing we haven't been told the truth.

SWANWICK
Okay. Here's the truth. Superman acted like some rogue combatant and went where he shouldn't have , interfering in matters he shouldn't stick his hands in. People died.

Lois is silent.

SWANWICK
Don't invent a conspiracy theory to put back his halo. I've stuck my neck out for him enough as it is.

Swanwick turns and leaves Lois in silence, shutting the door to a meeting room behind him.

CUT TO:

INT.CLARK'S APARTMENT,LOWER METROPOLIS--DAY.

CLOSE ON the laptop monitor of news anchors arguing on the Metropolis 8 news channel .

METROPOLIS 8 ANCHOR 1
Superman was definitely trying to make a statement.We have confirmation that that was Senator Finch's own daughter and he was more likely than not trying to get in her good books to avoid the calls for hearing. How can you not--

CLARK
Hi, yeah I just wanted to check if the seats  got confirmed? Yeah? Yeah, uh.. two seats.  Booking names are Clark Joseph Kent and uh James Bartholomew Olsen. Yeah that's right. And Flight time's tonight 7 pm to Gotham Central airport. Southwest Air. Yep.

METROPOLIS 8 ANCHOR 2
How can I? How can you say something like that ? He saved a girl from doing something she might regret doing looking back now and you're saying it was a political act?! Jesus Christ Chester--

He  turns back to the laptop propped on his bed and switches tabs on the browser. He is looking at an article from the Gotham Gazette  about Victor Zsaz's recent murder with Batman being the prime suspect. He shuts the laptop.