PART 3

CUT TO:

INT.CAPITOL BUILDING, DC--DAY.

A small proceeding. A seven person PANEL. A man in a wheelchair is before the committee on the black zero incident. CSA CALVIN SWANWICK is one of those seated at the table facing the man. The man has lost both legs and an arm . He is wearing a US army uniform ; an army vet.

Senator JUNE FINCH is at the center of the table, the HEAD of the committee. The man in the wheelchair addresses the panel.

MAN IN WHEELCHAIR
It was like...I didn't know what to think or.. or..feel. I was watching the aliens on the TV with my wife and kid and then... the building cracked open. I ... I never saw them again. (The man's voice cracks with emotion) My girls.

There is a heavy silence in the hall . The man is crying .

MAN IN WHEELCHAIR
And then I wake up a week later . Everything's already over. And I find out what happened. I see him on the news aiding cleanup.

After a silence, AMANDA WALLER speaks up.

AMANDA WALLER
People around the world consider the Superman to be a hero for his role in the black zero incident and stopping General Zod. Saving the world. What would your stance be on that subject, given your experience---

SWANWICK
Director Waller,  We're here to listen to them and to help in any way we can, not put our own biased opinions on the subject matter into their heads for them.

AMANDA WALLER
Yes thank you for assuring those that come to us with grievances that we don't give two shits about what they want if it doesn't put a halo on the big blue guy, why don't you ?

SWANWICK
This isn't the time or place to debate over why Superman did or didn't--

AMANDA WALLER
The witness has a right to be heard, Secretary Swanwick. Are you saying you wanna deny them that ?

Swanwick quiets down, clenching his teeth. Amanda Waller turns back to the army vet .

AMANDA WALLER
Son?

The man hesitates.

MAN IN WHEELCHAIR
I don't want nothing big . I just wanna look him in his eye. And ask him how he decides. Which lives count and which don't.

He hangs his head to wipe the corners of his eyes.

SENATOR FINCH
The world has been so caught up with Superman's power and what all he can do that no one has asked what he should do. Let the record show that this committee holds him responsible.

Swanwick purses his lips lets out a frustrated sigh.

INT. SENATOR FINCH'S OFFICE, DC --CONTINUOUS.

We see Senator Finch talking with a subordinate. He hands her a stack of files.  Her phone suddenly rings and she pulls it out.We see the caller name : REGAN

SENATOR FINCH'S SECRETARY
Ma'am, your four'O clock is here. Should I tell them to reschedule or--?

Senator Finch ignored the call and puts her phone back in her handbag.

SENATOR FINCH
No. No. It's alright. I'm here.  Let em in.

CUT TO: