07

The morning after any drunken night leads to a hangover. This came in the form of a pounding headache for Ruby, she had endeavored on a binge to make her forget the world around her. Only to find herself in a shirt that didn't belong to her and a bed she thought she wouldn't find herself in.

Her eyes take many moments to adjust to the harsh sunlight in the room, shining through the curtain, and yet Otis Milburn was nowhere to be seen. She looks around her surroundings and saw her dress had been discarded on the wooden floor below.

There is suddenly a knock at the door, breaking Ruby from trying to figure out what happened the previous night. Her memory was foggy. This situation, scarily, reminded her of the first time she and Otis had drunken sex at a Halloween party. Otis had woken up confused to find a naked girl in his bed with no memories of it occurring.

"Morning." The voice Otis mentions as he opens the door. He was sporting just PJ pants as he shuts the door behind him. "Sleep well?"

"Fine." Ruby simply answers, her bitchy attitude returning to her body. "Did we have sex last night?"

Otis shakes his head. "No..." He trails off. "You were very intoxicated, the most we did was kiss."

Ruby's shoulders relax. She wasn't in the mood of going to the clinic once more for the morning-after pill. "Listen, can we talk about last night?" Otis asks as Ruby gets up from under the thick blanket on the bed and picks up her own clothing.

"What's there to talk about Otis?" Ruby asks as she rips off the shirt and keeps her eye contact with the pale boy in front of her, he freezes with shock. "Lots of people make out at parties, should I be avoiding your girlfriend from now on? Is she pissed?"

Ruby finishes getting dressed and ignores the boner that Otis had beneath the thin material of his pants. "Maeve left?" Otis says, more of a question.

"Right, I forgot." She gathers her phone that sat on the bedside table, she reads through the constant flood of text messages from her friends asking where she was. "Well thanks for offering for me to stay here, I have to go."

She says getting to her feet, she picks up her red heels from the floor and takes one last look at Otis. "I don't want to be the backup plan because Maeve left, I'm nobody's second choice." She reminds the boy before she makes her way down the steps.

She ignores the greetings from Otis' family to exit the house. 

That didn't stop Otis from running after her, he too ignores the questioning from his mother as he runs out of the house after the tan girl. "Ruby wait!"

Ruby sighs before turning back to the boy. "I fucked up, I hurt you and there's no excuse for it. Then I kissed Maeve, hoping it would make her stay." He explains rushed. "The more I think about it, I realize that my feelings I had once for Maeve weren't the same."

Ruby didn't know what to think of the words spoken to her, although it was a distraction from the pain in her head. "All I can think about is you, Ruby, you're amazing and I know you expect me to say those three words to you. I just can't right now. I wasn't ready." He explains.

"You still kissed Maeve!" Ruby reminds the boy.

"I know, I mess a lot of things up and I really want to fix at least one thing up." He says, sadly.

Ruby places her hands on her hips. "So you expect me to just take you back like that? What if my feelings for you have changed?" Ruby challenges.

Otis shakes the back of his messy hair. "With the way, you were practically begging me to fuck you last night, I think otherwise." His tone is awkward.

Ruby rolls her eyes. "You were a good fuck, Otis." 

"Could we at least go back to being friends, I enjoyed spending time with you," Otis asks the girl hoping she would agree.

"Friends. That's all," she says simply.

She turns her back to keep walking towards her home.

Unaware that Otis placing his fist in the air, celebrating. Otis was unaware that there was a smile on Ruby's face.