20

On Thursday afternoon, both Aimee and Ruby decide to get their nails done. The boys were stuck at work on a late shift, both had picked up extra shifts. It worked well since it meant their mothers could spend more time together hanging out.

"So the formal is in three months," Aimee mentions as she was having her nails filed. 

Ruby is pulled from her thoughts. "With the amount of talk about it in the school, almost sounds like a bore." She says sighing. 

Aime gasps dramatically, making Ruby roll her eyes. "Ruby Matthews' isn't excited for a school event?" 

"Wow! Such a shocker." Ruby announces. "Have you been asked to go yet?"

Aimee shakes her head. "Although Adam and I both agreed that if neither of us has been asked, then we'll go together. As friends." Aimee states firmly.

"I didn't know you and Adam had secret chats outside of school and study sessions." Ruby teases the girl. 

Aimee's cheeks flush red. "You're hilarious Ruby, just friends," Aimee confirms. "I decided past is past and if I'm willing to travel the world with him. We should get along."

Ruby nods understanding. "We're such a strange batch of friends." 

Aimee agrees with her statement. "Has Otis asked you yet?"

Ruby shakes her head. "Knowing the boy, he will plan something elaborate, but stumble on his words trying to get it out," Ruby says, a smile creeping on her face. She found the thought of Otis doing that absolutely adorable. 

"That sounds like an Otis thing to do," Aimee says, as the nail techs are busy finishing the girl's nails in the small salon.

The girls pay afterward and venture through the small town, browsing at the shops. There wasn't much to offer, but it was enough to keep the girls occupied.

Walking into a second-hand shop, Aimee runs into Olivia who is accompanied by Eric who was browsing through the men's section. He was looking for new dress shirts to add to his collection, he preferred the vintage printed shirts. "Watch where you're going." Olivia pushes the girl off her.

Aimee apologizes and Eric looks up with a cunning smile on his face. "Well if it isn't Mrs Groff and Mrs Millburn. Happy seeing you here on a sunny afternoon." He greets the girls who choose to ignore the boy and venture to the back of the store where the woman's section was.

They're interrupted by Eric following their direction. "Excuse me, I was talking to you!" Eric demands.

"Sorry, I filtered out bullshit from my hearing range." Ruby comments, not looking up from the garment rack she was looking at.

"Well, that's rude!" Eric says raising his voice, making the shopkeepers look over in the teenager's direction.

"I wouldn't want to make a scene and embarrass yourself," Aimee says, emotionless as she looks at the dresses. "You are in public after all."

"The only embarrassment is your faces." Olivia taunts, invading into the conversation.

"How mature of you." Ruby offers a fake smile, focusing on the shirt she had picked from the rack. "While you're thinking of a comeback, look at yourself in the mirror and learn some original torments. Recycling stuff isn't gonna cut it anymore."

Olivia is left shocked, with Eric just suggesting that they should go look at the other thrift store around the corner. "There are better things to look at there." Eric looks disgusted at Ruby who just bursts out laughing.

"That's not what Otis said last night." She says flipping her hair over her shoulder.

Without another word, Eric just leaves the store.

The two girls look at each other laughing, as they pick up a few clothing items to purchase. Ruby chose a couple of new shirts and Aimee picked out a few dresses from the vintage section.