Chapter Forty One

Chapter Forty-One || Fire

Aleah's P.O.V:

My eyes open slowly and I see that my arms were tied to a chair. I tried to struggle my way out but it only made my wrists hurt.

Where am I? I only remember passing out after being hit in the head. I heard the sound of soft footsteps, that started from behind me and ended up meters in front of me.

I glared at her angrily, this all wouldn't have happened if she hadn't swapped our bodies. All because greedily wanted to be the heroine, she decided to make her life miserable.

"Don't you dare look at me like that," she said, pain in her tone, " Don't look at me, as if all I did was to ruin our lives! "

" Did you not?"

She laughed hysterically, out of her mind, "Since you're going to die anyway, I'll let you in on my secret. As to how I found my destiny and how I managed to swap our souls.

I was a young girl, spoiled yes! Bratty yes! But I seriously lived life to the fullest. Until I met this girl who was just as pretty as I was. I watched her play in the meadow her brown hair was practically part of her surroundings. It was all over the place and messy as she ran around but it felt so natural as if it was supposed to be there. I envied her beauty, her innocence, her kind nature, her natural ability for people to just love absolutely everything about her, her view on life, and even though she was merely The daughter of a count I wanted her life so badly. One day a maid took me to see a tarot reader. She also happened to be one of the last witches on the continent, she showed me my past, present... and future.

That future in which I died by the sword of the person I loved, well back then I only admired the prince it was anything but love. However, I was distraught that all my future had to hold was death, I was scared, frustrated, and mad at the world. Then the witch proposed a deal, with the cost of half of my soul she would swap our lives. Immediately I agreed, but first I needed three things. Her hair, her blood, and something she treasured.

The first two were easy. I found her hair casually laying around in the meadow, and I stole a sample of her blood from your family pediatrician. But what was it she treasured?

Only the person themselves would know what they treasure. Then as I accidentally came upon the girl being so overly protective of a boom, she held it so close to her body away from the maids that tried to take it from her. I knew immediately it was what she treasured most.

While she was sleeping I had paid a maid to steal it from her. It's hilarious how far people go for a bag or two of gold coins. Then with all three the witch had cast her forbidden magic and swapped our lives. Then I thought that everything would have been fine, I'd live a leisurely life, till I was old and frail with the Crown Prince by my side. But once again that same girl took everything from me.

 Again you ruined everything. The witch came back and told me that with half my soul gone I could only live for so long, 18 years. In my previous life, I also died at 18  isn't that hilarious? I went through all that trouble only to die at the same age!! But you know what, she also told me that I could gain that other half back if I killed you. So with that witch's help, I did everything I could to kill you without being noticed. 

I figured that once you were dead I could finally get the life I finally deserve. If you don't die then I will, and I don't wanna die Aleah! I'm going to do whatever I can to live."

I just sat on my seat completely dumbfounded, I tried to take in everything she just said to me. The book portrayed her as the villainess and even though she was a little bratty and disrespectful, just like everyone else she deserved to live. As a little girl who found out she was going to die it was have been traumatizing.

"If you kill me do you really think you're going to live? There's a significant difference between living and surviving, the little you could have changed your future if you wanted to. You found out your future so you could also have changed it, the only reason why you're here right now is because of what that damned witch put in your head!" 

Layla shook her head slowly... with a smile?

" That doesn't change anything anymore, who cares if she tricked me. That's something I'll deal with later, right now I need you to die!" She pics up a lighter beside a pot plant on a stand.

"Layla... you can still get over this, you can still live a longer life without killing! We'll find another way!!" I tried to persuade her, but she shakes her head.

"I don't need another way. Because I've come to the realization that as long as you're alive I'll never be happy. Now that's enough chatting we need more dying."

She flicks the lighter on and drops it right beside the only exit. Immediately the room catches on fire. There was some sort of liquid substance on the ground the seems to be oil, it makes the fire stronger and hotter. The fire started to spread faster.

" Goodbye...Aleah," 

Layla closes the door and immediately smoke starts to engulf the room. I start to wriggle on my spot, I can't inhale too much of this smoke! There was getting out of it but it was useless. Now the fire had spread all the way to the back of the room, thankfully it hadn't spread towards the windows. My only way of escape.

I just need to figure out how to escape from this damned chair! Then I suddenly got the idea to jump up then lean back. The chair ends up breaking on my back, I gasp from the sudden pain. It took me a while to recover, I took heavy breathes trying to numb the pain as well as trying to breathe through the smoke that got even thicker. 

With all my might I throw a part of the chair towards the glass window to the balcony breaking it, some of the smoke released through the gap in the glass make it somewhat easier to. My hand and feet were still tied, there's no way I can escape. 

I start to worm my way towards the window but the fire had quickly spread towards the, like me it too was gasping for air. I give up, I can no longer go anywhere. The smoke in the room made the air so thick I could barely breathe, my lungs would hurt with the smallest inhale. 

Right now I only had one thing on my mind, Noah. The things I would do to see his face one more time, to tell him that he should live happily ever after I die. But I no longer have that privilege. 

I stare as the fire starts to spread to the curtains watching my hopes burn with the flames. Suddenly  I see someone climb over the wall and onto the balcony, I didn't know who it was, the flames were blocking my view. Then suddenly that same person bursts into the Smokey room.

I close my eyes. Once again, someone has come to save me. Once again I'm nothing but a bother to the people around me, and even though I feel apologetic to them and upset with myself, I couldn't help but feel relieved. 

I closed my eyes, I couldn't breathe anymore. Not a single breathe, with one last forceful smoke-filled breath I blanked out. The last thing I remember was a ferocious scream of my name, with the pain and relief in their voice as they called me over and over and over... until I no longer could hear them. 

To Be Continued