Chapter Two

chapter two||  Leah to the rescue

I walk through the crowded streets of the town, my knight and personal maid Chelsea right behind me. I've been trying to lose them for half an hour but they stick to me like glue. I know it's their job but they don't have to stand right beside me.

I see a group of people up ahead, they were crowding around the town square. Great, this is a perfect opportunity to get rid of them. I purposely lead them into the group, pushing past between people.

" Young miss! " Chelsea exclaims, " Wait!"

The further I get into the crowds, the more her voice became inaudible. Finally, I ended up on the other side, the guard and Chelsea must still be in there, I quickly got up and ran away.

 For what seemed like a while, I stopped running. I take my pouch of money from the pocket of my outfit, 15 gold, 26 silver and 40 copper coins. I don't know the currency but this should be enough. I place back into the hidden pocket and start to look around.

Up ahead was a sign that said, " Tori's Sweets ". I walk into the shop. It was alluring, every inch of the store contained sweets. From rock hard candy to mouth-melting cakes. Somehow just the smell of them was tempting. 

I look around and see something, I wouldn't think I'd see in this world. Ice cream. I quickly head towards the stand, They hadn't had my favourite flavour, chocolate fudge brownie. It was just Chocolate, vanilla and cookies and creme. 

" What can I do for you little one." 

An old lady pops out from the side door and into the ice cream stand. She smiles brightly at me as she grabs a waffle cone and an ice cream scooper. She seems familiar, Where have I seen her before? 

" Is it alright if you could mix cookies and creme with chocolate?" I say pointing at the two flavours.

" Anything for the young darling it shouldn't take long." 

She takes a couple of scoops of the flavours and places them in the blender. I look around the store, weird. I was the only one in there. For such a wonderful and brightly coloured shop, it was rather empty. 

I thought little kids would come here often, kids these days should be thrilled to have such sweets. Something isn't sitting right with me, but I don't know what it is.

" I would love that mini chocolate mud cake over there." 

The old lady places the mixed ice cream in a large cup instead of a cone, she sprinkles pinkish powder ontop and digs a couple of broken waffle cones into the ice cream. She places the cup in front of me and heads over towards the mud cake.

She picks it up and starts to place it in a box, she labels it with a sticker and starts to write something on paper. I wonder what it's for.

" That'll be 10 copper coins," she says.

Only 10 copper coins? The food here doesn't look too expensive, but I'm pretty sure sweets like these were just invented. Hard to imagine it'd only cost 10 copper coins. I pay up and grab the things I've bought, I'll make sure to enjoy this.

I start to walk out of the store and just before I leave the old lady says something, " I expect great things from you, Aleah..." I heard the old lady whispering.

I stop at the door, What's this feeling... How does she know my name?  I quickly turn around but she wasn't there anymore. I quickly walk out of the store, what in heavens name just happened? 

" TAKE IT, YOU WORTHLESS KID! " 

Not too far from me a lady dressed in yellow- who I assume is a noble- insisted on giving the kid a gold coin. Suddenly she grabs the kid's by the collar and slaps him. The surrounding people look at her in disgust, but since she's someone of high status no one bothers to do anything.