Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty|| a new struggle

Richard's P.O.V

When I think I'm far enough I start to slow my pace, I'm completely out of breath and exhausted.  I've been running for a good hour or so, the thought of them catching up, kept me going. to catch up to me. That would mean Rico's sacrifice was in vain.

I could feel the tears that were accumulating as I ran, starting to pour out in an instant. I couldn't hold it in any longer.

There was a definite fact that he wasn't getting out of that situation alive. They were already keeping track of his movements, if he broke the rule again, that would mean immediate execution.

I completely stop running for a second to catch my breath, there was no way they would have followed me this far. Although, I'm sure they're searching for me right now. I can't stay here for long.

I was never an athlete, I wasn't very athletic in the first place. But, maybe if my life was on the line like this, I could be.

I sat by a nearby oak tree it was big and tall, I decide to make camp there for the day. It was only midday but if I kept going, I think I would have fainted.

I took out the map Rico left in my bag and with a compass I try navigate my current position. I soon find out I was in the middle of Fairy Forest. It was a dangerous place, staying the night would be dangerous, but I don't have much of a choice.

It seems like the capital city of Salvatore is located North, the Imperial Palace has got to be there too. So I'll head there at dawn.

When the night fell it was chilly and lonely. My blanket kept me warm from the frosty breezes that would occasionally brush past the trees. It was hard to sleep, the howling wolves and the rustles in the bushes constantly kept me on edge. It's been a while since I've slpt outside in the cold, it reminds me of the days when I was younger.

I think about what had happened and if this was the right choice. I've gone this far and now I'm doubtful, I truely am cowardly. I lost the life of a good friend thanks to my greediness.

Morning came and once again I set off North this time. I chewed on a few of the rations making sure to save some for later. I'm sure I'd reach the palace by tomorrow!!

****

If yesterday wasn't bad enough, today had its own set of problems. On my way to a lake nearby to resupply on water, I came upon a back of red wolves. The vicious kind. As indicated in their name, their fur was of a shade of blood red; their teeth still carried the stains from their previous prey.

They had startled me as I finally finished filling up my bottle and was taking a short breather. Their snarly teeth were used to intimidate me as they growled their way closer. If this is where the road ends for me then I wouldn't let them get me easily.

I quickly made a run for it, they were quick to follow behind me. Gosh, I don't want to be their next meal. I quickly climb up a tree, my life depended on this.

The wolves can't get me from up here. I looked down on them with a snobbish look, I have unlocked a new skill and I've outrun an animal that was high on the food chain.

They started to claw the tree and growl. It was useless, the tree was just too tall and big and they were just too small.

" Ha! Serves you right!" I shouted.