Ch.5

Waking up a lot later then expected, I thought for sure that all the others had just ended up leaving for school by now. Struggling to put my shoes on, I hopped while trying to run at the same time, which had only ended with me on the floor. "Agh!" Colliding into the ground face first, I wined while rubbing my sore nose.

Lifting myself back up, I took this as a chance to properly put my shoes on, once done, I ran the rest of the way to the bridge. "Ahh, I'm so totally late! I slept in!" Wining out loud to myself, I looked side to side when realising that my assumption about the others leaving already was correct. Swimming myself up to the top, just before I reached out of the water, I stopped myself. Hesitantly, I started to slowly reach my hand up, inching it back closer to the surface.

"[Yn]?" Making me jump, a voice had called my name out just from behind me. I quickly pulled my hand back, looking over my shoulder to see who it was, ah, Chisaki. It didn't take long for me to get confused "are you running late also?" Looking around for a second confirmation, it was clear that we were the only two here. I found it even more confusing how Chisaki was the one running late, not Manaka.

She nodded to my question "yeah, I felt a bit sick so I told the others to go on without me" smiling, her eyes traced over my hand. Watching her gaze, I threw my hand behind my back and nervously smiled "well.. we can go together then!" Trying to move her attention onto something else, I brought up my suggestion. She nodded for a small second before raising her attention back to me "okay, but, what were you doing just now?" Pointing over to me, she gestured over to my hand that still laid behind my back.

"Nothing, it's just a silly habit" explaining briefly to her, I smiled with nothing but reassurance. Nodding slowly, she grabbed onto the hand that was behind my back "we should get going now." Only nodding in answer, I felt uneasy as she swam us both up to the surface. Just now, Chisaki didn't seem like she believed me, it really was just an odd habit. Raising above the water, we got onto the platform and already started our way to school.

------++------

Gazing ever so often at my hand as we walked, Chisaki had started to take notice and held side glances towards me. Not minding her, I continued to lose my self while still staring. My hand, was only inches away from reaching out of the water and to the surface, but, someone had called out my name. Sighing, I looked away from my hand and smiled, maybe that just means that the sea is where I belong and that I should stop reaching out for things I simply can't have.

I had promised Chisaki I would stop being selfish, yet just today, I had tried to reach out for a place where I didn't belong to. I really was being selfish, I had made a promise that I didn't even intend to keep, what type of friend am I to do something like that? Sighing, I brought my bag to my front and unzipped it to grab a small snack from my lunch, seeing as I didn't have the time to eat breakfast. I let out a gasp, I still searched through my bag but the lunch wasn't in there, I had forgotten to grab it.

"Chisaki, I'll be right back, I totally forgot to grab my lunch!" Calling out to her, I had already pulled myself over the stone wall and dived back into the sea. I kicked my self as fast as I could, trying to get to my house and back to Chisaki in the shortest time possible, not wanting to keep her waiting for a long while. I swear I had grabbed it, but I was in such a rush that it would have been simple for me to think I had when I didn't.

------++------

After finally grabbing it, I shoved it into my bag where it belonged, this time, I made sure I had everything. Seeing as everything was now in order, I smiled and put my bag back over my shoulder. Swimming up, I made my way back to the surface, this time, I didn't stop before reaching the top like last time. It was time that I stopped being selfish.