Leash

This is an AU that I will explain as it goes. Let me know if it fails to make sense. Also, this gets kinda real dark and shit. Ye have been warned. Also deals with episode 34 so SPOILERS. Just a bit.

3rd pov

Every person in the world has a leash - officially called Jama - until they reach the age where they are considered an adult. Typically that is 18, but it differs per culture and continent. By all rights and laws, only parents are supposed to hold the Jama of a kid, especially their own, but there are always those people who do not care for the rules. Jama's are interesting in how they work.

Depending on the person holding the Jama, the child it is connected to can be subjected to any amount of punishments. Choking, shocking, spikes, forced self harm, and all kinds of things that would not just hurt physically but would certainly hurt emotionally or mentally. The Jama can allow for mind control, as well as complete control of the body. It's supposed to be in order to keep the child safe, but most people abuse it and the child as well. 

There are laws in place to try to stop this and - since those are mostly for show, they very rarely managed to stop it before it begins - laws for children that are being abused and forced to do things via Jama. Once children reach adult, the Jama shortens into a collar, where they can clip their children's or close friends Jama's. It is not unusual for parents to sell their child for money - even if it is kept on the down low - and so it is not nearly as surprising as it should be to Karma when his parents finally decide to sell him to his principal in order to get him to behave. 

Jama's don't have a limit, but once the child hits a certain point in distance, the effects are lessened to a great deal, and thankfully his dingy little cabin at the top of the mountain where E class do everything is far enough away. Unfortunately, nowhere in the house is and he's forced into a certain behavior at home that he hates - Asano does not like seeing this side of Karma either, if for no other reason than because he knows his father is forcing the boy to do this - so he does what he can to rebel where he can. The principal forces him to wear the school uniform pristinely, but as soon as he can, he messes it up to his own degree. 

If not for certain things that the class see by chance and the event the principal is doing now, they never would've known that Karma's Jama was with the principal. However, they recognize the signs of certain punishments and start getting worried. Sugino is the only one to witness the first time, having been leaving practice a bit late, pausing when he hears nearby voices. He recognizes Karma and worry has him crouching down, sneaking closer to the area where he hears the sound.

A peak around a corner has him barely swallowing a sound of surprise. The Principal is almost yelling at Karma, one hand curved in such a way it looks like its holding something, and the red head barely managing replies. 

"- wear it correctly! Don't make me do something drastic, I'd rather not. Now, take your left hand and scratch up the right arm, don't stop until you are bleeding. I will be right here and I'll be waiting. If I have to do it, I'll make sure the damage is permanent."

Sugino almost throws up, but manages to force it down as he watches, phone recording since almost as soon as he saw the hand, he got worried. The more proof he has the better. He watches as his friend lifts his left hand reluctantly and then starts to dig his nails into his right forearm, digging into his skin again and again and again until red is bleeding down the sides of his arm and then - and only then - does the Principal speak.

"Enough. Anymore and your class will get suspicious. Pass this off as a fight or you'll be punished worse, got it? Let's go now."

Karma stumbles as his Jama is yanked as the Principal walks away, not letting go and forcing his classmate to keep up in order to not choke, almost as if he's heeling a dog. Sugino feels anger rise in his chest for his classmate, as well as concern. He saves the video and watches it to make sure it can be seen and heard well, before putting his phone away and deciding to keep a look out. He does not share the video, not yet.