CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Game Over
chapter twenty nine

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

"I'VE NEVER SEEN SO MANY OLD PEOPLE IN ONE PLACE," Alan joked. Phoebe's arms hung over his shoulders, his arms holding the underside of her thighs as he gave her a piggyback ride through the park. She hummed, chin resting on her own arm. "I think that one was the Gallagher's fake Aunt Ginger," she spoke lowly, jabbing her thumb in the direction of one of the park benches. Alan laughed. "Fake? What do you mean fake?" She shook her head before wiping away the stray hairs sticking to her face. "It's a very long story. She's pretty nice, though, and makes amazing Eggs Benedict." Alan hummed in response. They were headed straight to the ice cream. Alan had texted Kev to meet to talk about their deal, and Phoebe decided to tag along. She would kill for a fudge pop.

"My favorite happy couple." Phoebe smiled at Veronica's exclaim. Alan let her down at the door. Lip pulled the passenger seat forward for her to enter their domain. "Hey, Vee," she greeted the girl, moving behind her to check the freezers. She was sweating buckets. Her hair at the nape of her neck was wet. The heat was really getting to her. "How much is a fudge pop?" she asked, leaning into the cold air. "Um, two bucks," Lip responded, sitting down in the driver's seat. Alan stood outside, but was greeted with his and Lip's newest handshake. It never stayed the same. Lip claimed it was for privacy reasons, like if someone remembered it, it would ruin the whole effect. She thought it was dumb.

She dug around in her back pocket before pulling out two crumpled dollar bills and taking out the desired ice cream. "You feeling okay?" Veronica asked once she stood straight, closing the freezer reluctantly. "M' just really hot," she admitted. There were droplets of sweat falling down the length of her neck and disappearing into her tank top. She never dressed this way going out, but she couldn't find it in herself to dress how she usually did when her body felt like it was on fire. Veronica placed the back of her hand against the girl's forehead with a frown. "You definitely feel hot. Are you sure you aren't running a fever?" Phoebe nodded her head, ripping into the package impatiently. "Doctor Dominguez over there took my temperature twice today. I think its just the heat."

A trio of elderly people approached the window and Kev quickly got to work. Like usual, he had a sucker between his lips. This time it seemed to be a blow pop from the wrapper still attached to the stick. "Have you eaten?" Veronica inquired. Her eyes were still trained on the brunette as she suckled the fudge pop. The cold filled her mouth and throat, her eyes rolling back at the relief. "Mhm," she hummed against the treat. "We made pancakes," Alan chimed in, leaning against the passenger seat. "Pancakes," Lip repeated. "Is she trying to be a breakfast line cook?" Alan smiled at his joke. A line cook would probably pay better than a grocery store clerk. "Shut up," she fired toward the curly haired boy. "You're just mad I didn't bring you any this time."

"Oh, my God, Vee," Kev sighed loudly. "She made these egg biscuits and they were almost better than sex." Veronica's eyebrows rose in surprise. She turned back to the girl, hand finding her hip while the other held onto her bomb pop. "Where's my breakfast? I thought we were family." Phoebe laughed at the woman's words, wiping the chocolate away from the corners of her lips. "I can bring you something tomorrow. I have a shift at the store, anyway. I can run by your place first?" The surprised expression shifted to one of glee as she smiled. "Perfect," she laughed, pulling the girl by her shoulder and bringing her under her arm. Phoebe's arm immediately wrapped around her slim waist.