chapter fifty-three

I spend the rest of my day catching Charlie up on everything that has happened the past few weeks, and he catches us up on stuff that's been happening in his life. It's so refreshing to finally be able to talk to him face-to-face again, his chaotic energy never ceases to amaze me.

Aunt Lauren immediately takes a liking to him- I don't think she's stopped smiling once since he's gotten here. Charlie does have that effect on people- you just can't stop smiling when he's around.

We got so caught up in talking that we didn't even realize it was starting to get late. And since Charlie, Owen, and I have to get up early tomorrow morning, we all decide we need to go ahead and try to get some sleep now.

I let Owen take the shower first, while I try to start packing for this Hawaii trip. I leave everything until the last minute, and packing for this trip is no exception. At this point, I'm just throwing random clothes in my suitcase.

While in the midst of trying to find my favorite shorts, my phone starts to ring. To my surprise, it's my dad calling. I hesitate before picking up.

"Hello?"

"Jenny, hey," he says, sounding like he's slightly out of breath. "Happy birthday."

"Thanks," I respond questioningly.

"There's something I need to tell you. And I know that this probably isn't what you want to hear on your birthday, but I know you're supposed to be leaving for that trip tomorrow... I just think you should know."

I can feel my heart rate rise with every word he says. I mean, "there's something I need to tell you" isn't usually ever followed by a good thing.

"What is it?"

My dad takes a deep breath and stays silent for a few seconds before speaking. "Your mom and I are getting a divorce."

I can physically feel my heart drop into my stomach. Somehow I knew this was coming, I just never really thought it would happen. And even though I know my mom is toxic and is not healthy to be around, it still feels like my world shatters a bit when I hear his words.

"How did it happen?"

"We got into another big fight- about you. She got mad that I went over to see you but didn't let her go. And I told her that if this is how it was always gonna be, I didn't want it."

I sigh. "It's okay, dad. You did the right thing," I say shakily, trying not to stutter and give away the fact that I'm already crying.

He stays silent for a while. "You know I love you, right? I want the best for you. And I know your mom has always gotten in the way of that, and I'm so sorry I didn't stop the things she did. But I'm glad you've found your home. I can tell- Lauren's told me stories about your boyfriend, and he sounds wonderful. And you're more confident now, I can tell you've finally found yourself."

Hearing these things from him makes me cry even more. I can't even remember the last time either one of my parents have told me they loved me, and I'm a mess.

"I did find my home, dad. And yes, Owen's really wonderful. I would love for you to meet him one day."

"I would like that," he says. "Anyway, I gotta go. I'm sorry for dropping all of this on you on your birthday, but I do hope you have a good trip."

"Thanks," I tell him.

"Course. Bye, Jenny."

"Bye, Dad," I respond, and hang up immediately so I can finally cry. I let the tears flow freely, feeling a bit guilty that they're actually there at all. I forget about Owen until he walks out of my bathroom. His eyes instantly soften into worry when he sees the state I'm in.