chapter forty-four

Am I currently sitting on my bathroom floor writing Owen a letter? Maybe. Am I overdramatic? Absolutely.

It's currently 1:30 in the morning. I couldn't sleep, so I snuck out of bed to try to write this letter. I'm planning on giving it to him before he leaves, just in case I'm such a wreck that I can't explain anything to him. At least when I write it all out, I don't have to worry about missing anything.

It takes me probably a solid thirty minutes to get the letter written. Maybe it was a little sappy, but that's Owen's fault. He makes me too happy. And now I'm sad that I have to leave him. I wrote the entire thing in bright pink because it was the only pen I could find. Despite the color, I think the letter itself turned out pretty well.

Owen,
I can't thank you enough for the past few months. I know this isn't goodbye, that we're gonna see each other again, but I'm still super sad about leaving you, even if it's just for a little bit. If someone had told me that I would grow so close to the dude who got scared over the jaguar scene in Zootopia the day I met him, I would've laughed in their face. But here we are, and I wouldn't change it for the world. From the time you went on a midnight strawberry syrup run with me, I knew we were going to become good friends. I never expected we'd end up growing this close, but I am so thankful we did. You've been so good to me, despite all of the stupid things I've done. You listened to my family problems, you slept with me every night since you learned about my nightmares, you let me borrow your clothes, you've taken me on my first date and taught me what kissing feels like (it's really good, by the way). I truly don't deserve you. I know you're just as sad as I am about leaving, but I promise you'll never be able to get rid of me. Soon enough, we'll be together watching a new season of Miraculous. You're my home, and I can't stay away from home long.
Love, Jenny

Okay, maybe it isn't my best work. But I am sleep-deprived, so hopefully he'll cut me some slack. I fold the letter up and put it on my nightstand so I won't forget it in the morning, and climb back into bed. Luckily, Owen doesn't wake up, but as I make my way back to his side, he unconsciously pulls me closer to him. I try not to think about how much I'll miss this as I drift off to sleep.

When I wake up to my alarm in the morning, I can't help but internally groan. I already know that it's going to be a long morning.

I wait a few minutes before waking Owen up. I gently run my fingers through his hair, and try to shake him awake as best I can. He finally hesitantly opens his eyes after a few seconds.

"Hey, bugaboo," he whispers.

"Hi," I smile. "We gotta get up soon."

"It's our last morning, Jenny. Let's stay in bed for just a little longer. I wanna cuddle with you for as long as possible."

I don't even try to argue, I just cuddle closer to him. He plays with my hair as I try to hold in my tears, trading kisses occasionally.

"Want me to do your hair?" he asks after a few more minutes of cuddling. I agree, of course, and let him quickly put my hair up for me. When he gets done, we sit there in silence, staring at each other for a bit. I can tell neither one of us wants to get up right now because we know what it means.

Eventually, we decide to say everything we can't through kissing. I don't even know who started it, but his hands are around my waist and mine are around his neck, and all I can think about is how much I'm going to miss this feeling. The kisses start out passionate and eventually fade into soft and slow kisses, and neither one of us makes any move to pull away.

After a few more minutes of kissing, which wasn't nearly enough, we finally get out of bed. He tells me that he needs to go pack a bit more, but he'll be back as soon as he's done.