chapter forty-eight

Even though I spent most of my day watching Christmas movies, we all decide to watch yet another one, for old times' sake. We all decide on Home Alone 2 because I just finished watching the first one.

While my aunt works on getting the movie ready, I show Savannah and Owen around the house and let them put their bags into their rooms. Savannah took the room across from mine, and Owen put his bags in my room. Obviously.

"Wait, Jenny," Owen says after I show Savannah where her room is. He pulls me back into my room and starts digging through one of his bags. "Look what I brought!" he exclaims, pulling out the blanket of mine that I gave him before we left.

"Of course," I laugh.

"Yes, of course. I've slept with this thing every single night since I got home. Pretty sure my mom thinks I'm crazy, cuddling with a blanket every night."

"Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. I've cuddled with Kitty every night," I admit.

"Well, you have me back now," he says, giving me a quick hug. "And I'm really freaking glad to have you back. I've missed your cuddles."

"I've missed yours. Now, let's go before we get questioned by Savannah and Aunt Lauren."

We walk back to the living room and sit down on the couch, cuddling under Owen's blanket. It feels so good to finally have his arms wrapped around me again, for him to actually be here, and not just a picture on a phone screen.

My aunt pops some popcorn, and we all watch the movie in silence, with the occasional laughs over all of the stupid stuff that the characters did. It felt so nice to be back with Sav and Owen, it was oddly relaxing, having their presence next to me once again. By the time the movie was done, it was almost midnight, so we decided to clean up and get ready for bed.

I pulled Aunt Lauren aside when Owen and Sav left the living room. "Hey, thank you for this. You have no idea how much this means to me," I tell her.

She smiles. "Of course, Jenny, it's the least I could do. They seem like wonderful people, and I can tell you're so much happier with them here. Especially Owen," she winks. "Don't think I didn't see him put his bags in your room. I see all."

"It's not what you're thinking, Aunt Lauren, geez," I laugh. "We sleep together, yes. But we're just so used to it because he started doing it back during filming because I would get nightmares a lot and barely sleep, and falling asleep with him beside me helped. All we do is cuddle, get your mind out of the gutter."

"Yes ma'am," she says, throwing her hands up in surrender. "You know I don't care. You're nineteen, you can make your own decisions. And I know you're responsible. But I can tell Owen makes you happy, and I can tell that he's good for you. Keep him close, Jenny."

"I plan on it," I agree. And with that, we both walk out of the living room. When I get into my room, I see Owen unpacking some of his stuff.

"Jenny, hey," he says after seeing me walk in. "Is it okay if I take a shower in your shower? I'm not exactly clean after that flight I had."

"Yeah, go for it. Do you have shampoo and stuff?"

"I might've forgotten to pack it," he grimaces. "Can I use yours?"

I sigh. "Yes, it's all in there. Towels are in the closet beside the sink, use what you need."

"Thanks, Jenny, you're the best," he smiles before going into the bathroom and closing the door behind him. While he's gone, I go through one of his bags and grab a hoodie out of it. I do have three of his already, but I want one that smells like him. I've had those for so long that they don't smell like him anymore.

I was going to try to clean my room a bit because it's currently a mess, but I end up on my bed scrolling through Pinterest instead.

Eventually, I hear the shower turn off, and shuffling coming from the bathroom. "Jenny?" I hear Owen say.

"Yeah?" I respond, not leaving my spot on my bed.

"I, uh, forgot to bring a change of clothes in here. Can you get me some, please?"

"Course," I say, getting up and going over to his bag. I find some clothes for him to wear, including my sweatshirt, and knock on the bathroom door.

"Come in," he says, and I walk in to see him standing in the middle of the bathroom, wearing only a towel around his waist. My cheeks immediately flame and I look down at the floor as I hand him his clothes.

"Thanks," he says, taking the clothes from my hands. I can feel him put his hand on my chin, lifting my gaze up from the floor to his eyes. "You're blushing, bugaboo," he grins.

I smile in response, knowing I can't deny the statement. He puts his hand on my cheek, softly rubbing it for a second before pulling me closer to him and pressing his lips to mine.

I go still at first, from shock, but I eventually melt into the kiss. I put my arms around his neck, pulling him closer to me. Both of his hands are on my cheeks now, like he's holding me in place.

I'm out of breath when we finally pull back, and I'm pretty sure my cheeks are redder now than they were when I first came in. I give him a quick smile before walking out of the bathroom, closing the door behind me.

I climb back into my bed, and Owen eventually joins me- fully clothed this time. He doesn't say anything, he just snuggles up beside me and wraps me up in his arms. There are no words needed, we're both just savoring the fact that we're back together once again.

"I've missed this," Owen whispers, gently pressing his forehead against mine, still keeping his arms wrapped tight around me.

"Me too," I agree. We stay like that for a bit, Owen playing with my hair, and me rubbing his back. Neither one of us move.

"Owen?"

"Hm?"

"My dad came by today."

His eyes widen. "What did he want?"

"He gave me a Cat Noir hoodie. For Christmas. And I don't know how to feel about it. I mean, I don't hate him, and it's nice that he's trying. I have to remind myself sometimes that he's not my mom. He was strict, yes, but he wasn't as controlling as toxic as she was. It still feels weird, though."

"That's understandable, especially after everything they've done. But, he did go along with your mom's toxicity and didn't try to correct it. He's still in the wrong here. However, it's good that he's trying, I agree. Even if it's weird, at least you have one parent who still cares, even if it's just a little bit."

"I just wasn't expecting it," I admit. "I don't know. My parents are complicated. But I just wanted to tell you, since I haven't yet. And talking to you always seems to help."

"I'm glad. I'm always here for you, you know that right?"

"I know. I'm always here for you too."

"Thanks, Jenny," he smiles. He pulls me closer to him once again, pressing a kiss to my forehead and then one to my lips. It's a quick one, but I pull him back, not wanting to let him go just yet. I can feel him smile against my lips when I pull him back.

Unlike our kiss in the bathroom, this kiss is more soft and lazy, like we're just enjoying having each other around again. I don't really remember falling asleep, but I do remember Owen finally pulling away and gently laying me beside him, pressing his chest to my back and wrapping his arms around me.

"Goodnight, Jenny," he whispers in my ear. "I'm happy to be back with you. I've missed you more than you know."

"Bet I missed you more," I manage to get out right before I drift off to sleep.

a/n- hi people! i made a playlist for this book because i love music and i am emotionally attached to these characters. the link is on my profile :)