chapter one

I've never traveled outside of my state before.

I blame that fact on my overbearingly strict parents, but it's not like I've ever had an actual reason to anyway. I've always been in the same place my whole life.

But that changes today.

Somehow, by sheer luck, I landed a job as an assistant choreographer on a new Netflix show called Julie and the Phantoms. Not only am I a choreographer, but I also have a few speaking parts. Stressful, but still exciting.

To be honest, I'm ready to leave. I've never been a big people person, or been around a crew as big as the JATP crew is, but I'm ready to get out of my house.

I love my parents, but they have always expected so much from me. Much more than I could ever deliver. It's led to lots of arguments over the years, and I've been super distant with them lately.

The opportunity to work on a TV show was unthinkable. I never thought my parents would support it. Even though I am 19, and therefore a legal adult, they're still very controlling. However, after I got the news, they were both supportive.

I'm supposed to be flying out to Vancouver today. My flight leaves at 6:20 in the morning, so I had to wake up super early to make sure everything was ready.

I'm currently on the way to the airport, and I am a nervous wreck. I've already said goodbye to my dad, but my mom is driving me to the airport to make sure I get boarded safely.

"Jennifer, you okay?"

I'm far from okay, but I'm not letting my mom know that.

"Yeah, I'm good. Just a bit nervous, that's all," I tell her.

She didn't look convinced, but she gave me a side glance and continued driving.

I become even more nervous as we approach the entrance to the airport. I've never ridden on a plane before, much less ridden alone. I'm also flying to a different country, making it even more stressful.

I like being in control. I don't like unknowns. And today is packed full of unknowns. By the time my mom parks the car, my hands are shaking.

"Jennifer," my mom says. "You're going to be fine. Airplanes are not that scary, and you have an eight-hour flight ahead of you- lots of time to sleep. You already know you're going to have Savannah there with you, so at least you know one person. Now come on, let's go."

She gets out of the car, and I follow. We take my luggage out of the trunk and head towards the entrance, my stress levels skyrocketing the entire walk there.

The whole checking-in process was a blur. My mom stayed with me for a bit, but eventually, she had to let me go on my own. Soon enough, I was boarding my flight to Canada.

I got a window seat, which is all that mattered to me. I've never ridden on an airplane before, so I wanted to get the full experience.

And boy, was it a magical experience.

Taking off was so surreal. Lifting off into the clouds, seeing the world through an entirely different lens. It was truly amazing.

However, it got a bit boring after a while. That is when I took a much-needed, refreshing nap. I had been up since four in the morning, and all the stress had made my body exhausted.

Once I woke up, we only had about two more hours until landing. Refreshed me seemed to have the same worries that sleep-deprived me had because I started stressing out once again.

What if the cast and crew don't like me? What if it's harder to make friends there than it was at my high school? Wait- scratch that, there can't be anywhere worse than my former school.

I grab the book that I brought with me on the plane and open it up to the page I left off on. I find reading calming- there's such comfort in fictional worlds that you just can't find anywhere else.

Before I know it, the plane is landing and I am shaking again. I just need to get to my apartment and everything will be okay.

Once we land safely, we start to unload. Once again, much of the airport process was a blur because of the major stress I was enduring at the moment. I got my bags and ordered an Uber.

Once I got in my Uber, my mind starts racing once again. I silently hoped that I put in the right address as we merged onto the highway.

I was so caught up in my worried thoughts that it took me a moment to realize when we arrive at the apartment. I thank the Uber driver, get out my luggage, and start walking towards the entrance.

And as I walked through those doors, my excitement overcame my fear for the first time today.