chapter nine

We're shooting "Wow" today.

I'm a mixture of nerves and excitement. This is my first ever shoot, but I'm super excited to finally get in character and perform what I've been practicing for the past week or so.

The costumes for Dirty Candy are fabulous. The sparkly top, the glitter pants, the clear jacket. It may be super uncomfortable, but we look phenomenal.

Once I'm all decked out in my makeup, I get to put on my costume and wig. I look like a totally different person with all of it on, but in the best way possible.

I walk into the gym with the rest of the Dirty Candy members. I see Owen, Charlie, Jeremy, and Madison already in there, talking to Kenny. He turns around once he hears us come in.

"You all look fantastic! Ready to start shooting today?" he asks. We all smile and nod, reassuring him that we're ready. 

I walk over to the guys and Madison, who are also all in costume.

"Jenny! You ready for your first shoot?" Madison asks.

"Totally. I mean, I'm super nervous, but also super excited," I tell her.

"You'll do great. I've seen you in the studio, you're an amazing dancer. And you're gonna kill this dance, in the best way possible."

"Thanks, Madi," I grin. She walks off to go talk to some of the other dancers, and I'm left with the guys.

"I can feel your nervous energy from over here. Let's dial it down a bit," Charlie says.

"Sorry, Charles. I just don't wanna mess anything up."

"You're not going to mess anything up, Jennifer, you're going to rock it. You practically choreographed the whole dance, you've got this down," he assures me.

"Thanks," I tell him. He grins at me, and Owen comes over and nudges me on the shoulder.

"You got this, Jenny. Don't be nervous. Kenny is amazing to work with, and like Charlie said, you know this dance like the back of your hand. You're gonna do amazing, I'm sure."

"You always know how to cheer me up, Owen," I say as I look up at him and smile. Kenny calls for us to take our places, and we start shooting.

Shooting took a lot longer than I had expected it to. I don't know why I expected it to be short, but it wasn't. It went very well, though. I only messed up a few times, and it was never anything too serious. It was a totally different vibe than practicing at the studio, and I loved it. Even though I was in a super uncomfortable outfit, dancing with the other Dirty Candy members is such a fun experience.

Once we wrapped the scene, Savannah came over to me and gave me a very aggressive high-five.

"We KILLED that, Jenny!"

"Yeah, we did, didn't we?" I chuckle.

We walk back over to where the guys were, each of them also giving us high-fives. Madison came over and gave hugs to both me and Savannah.

After speaking to the guys and Madison, Savannah and I headed to get our outfits and makeup off. It felt so nice to finally be out of those glittery pants and back into my regular sweatpants.

I spent the rest of my day at the studio with Paul once again, working on some ideas for I Got the Music and The Other Side of Hollywood. Once we had some solid ideas down, I finally got to go home for the day.

Neither Charlie nor Owen came over to our apartment for the night, which was very unlike them, but I tried to not overthink too much. It was already pretty late, so I went ahead and got ready for bed. I also made some strawberry milk while I was at it.

I had yet another nightmare. I woke up crying at about 3am, and I wasn't able to fall back asleep after that. After about an hour of trying, I just gave up and watched The Umbrella Academy until it was actually time for me to start getting ready.

I rode with Savannah to set, even though we're going our separate ways today. She has some other scenes to shoot as Carrie, and I'm still supposed to be working with Paul on choreography. I've gotten used to her presence with me, so I know it's going to feel extremely weird not having her around.

I still haven't seen Charlie or Owen since yesterday, and I'm starting to get a little worried. They're usually always with us, so this is a long time to go without hearing from them.

I put my worries aside whenever I enter the studio. Me, Paul, and some of the other choreographers and dancers are trying to figure out choreo for "I Got the Music." I'm exhausted by the time we finally break for lunch, and I know I still have a long day ahead of me.

I try to find Savannah to see if she's free to eat lunch with me, but I never found her. I did, however, see Madison. She had just got done with a scene and was also on her lunch break, so we decided to eat together.

"How are things at the studio?" she asks.

"Great, we're working on I Got the Music as of right now, and I think what we have planned out is going to look really cool. I'm super excited to see how it turns out. We've also been brainstorming for The Other Side of Hollywood, and I know that one is going to take a lot more work because of how complex it is."

"I know you all will figure it out, they do work with the best," she smirks at me.

"If by 'the best,' you mean you, then yes."

"Queen, just accept the compliment," she says as she rolls her eyes.

"Fine. Thank you, Madison, the girl who knows better than us all," I say while waving my hand like I'm about to bow.

"Maybe not all of you... but yeah, most of you," she chuckles. "I know for a fact that I have more brain cells than the three guys combined. Jeremy is probably the only sane one in the group, and that's partly because of his fiancée."

"Have you met her? I haven't yet, but I've heard very good things," I tell her.

She nods. "She is one of the sweetest human beings I've ever met. I got to see her when she came to visit Jer during our boot camp, and she was super nice," she informs me.

"Hopefully I'll get to meet her soon. Also, have you seen the guys today? Usually Charlie and Owen practically live with me and Savannah, but I haven't seen them since we wrapped Wow yesterday."

"Charlie and Jer are both here, but Charlie said that Owen stayed at home because he wasn't feeling well."

"Do you know what's wrong?" I ask, as she nods her head no. "I guess I'll have to check on him when I get home. Charlie- that little jerk- he could've at least informed me and not completely left me in the dark. I've been worrying about this all day," I complained. Madison looked at me with one eyebrow up.

"Worrying about Owen, or worrying about why you haven't heard from them since yesterday?" she asks.

"Well, the second one, because I didn't know Owen was sick until now. But we'll add the Owen one to the list," I tell her.

"Calm down, Jenny- you look like a raging monkey about to pounce."

I try to calm myself down and release some of the tension I've been holding. "Sorry. I just don't like being left in the dark."

"Charlie probably didn't do it on purpose. He's just an idiot who doesn't think sometimes. And besides, I know it's not just Charlie- you're worried about Owen."

"Of course I am. He's my friend, I don't like hearing or seeing that my friends in pain," I tell her.

"A friend, huh?" She looks at me weird and I give her a confused look. "I love how oblivious you guys are sometimes."

"What?"

"Nothing," she says as she stands up. "I gotta get back to set, and I'll be sure to lecture Charlie for you. Have fun at the studio!"

"Thanks, have fun at set!" I yell back at her as I make my way back to the studio.