chapter four

Once we get in, Savannah leaves to shower and get ready for bed. I continue to unpack a bit, and I change into more comfortable clothes.

As I was unpacking some of my bathroom stuff, a realization hits me. I don't think I brought strawberry syrup with me.

I don't know why, but ever since I was around fifteen, I started drinking strawberry milk religiously. It became my nightly thing, I always had to have strawberry milk before I went to bed.

I haven't gone a night without it, and I don't think I could. I can't go to sleep without knowing I've had my daily dose of strawberry milk. I think that might be a symptom of OCD, now that I think about it....

I get up and jog into our apartment's kitchen to look in the refrigerator. Savannah does have milk, but I don't see any strawberry syrup. She has chocolate syrup, but chocolate milk just isn't the same.

I knock on Savannah's door, and she tells me I can come in. I open up the door to see her on her bed, even more droopy-eyed than she was before.

"Hey, Jennifer, what's up?"

"Do you have any strawberry syrup?" I ask her.

She gives me a confused look. "No, I don't think so. What do you need it for?"

I explain to her about my obsession with strawberry milk, and how I can't go a night without it. She honestly looks concerned for my mental state, but she doesn't push any farther.

"There's a store about 5 minutes away from here that I'm sure will have some. I know you don't have a car, but I can drive you if you want," she says.

"Um, no offense, but you look like you're ready to pass out. I don't think it's very safe for you to be driving me right now."

"That's true," she sighs. "I bet Owen or Charlie won't mind taking you. If they both refuse, I'll take you right after I beat them up."

I can barely mutter a "thanks" through my laughs.

"So, should I just knock on their door and ask them? Or should you text them first?" I ask.

"I quite literally just walk into their apartment all the time. I think it's fine for you to knock."

I give her a hesitant look, but I don't say anymore. I leave her to her beauty rest and walk out of the apartment.

When I reach their door, I hesitate. I've only known these people for a couple of hours and I'm already asking them to go out of their way to do something for me. Hopefully they don't hate me after this.

After standing and contemplating for a good minute, I finally knock on the door.

After a few seconds, I see Owen open up the door.

"Miss us already?"

I roll my eyes and laugh. "No, I have a favor to ask."

"Sure, what's up? Do you wanna come in?" he asks.

"I just need to know if one of you can take me to the grocery store. Savannah said it's only 5 minutes away from here, but I don't trust her driving me. She looked seconds away from falling asleep on me, even while she was talking."

Owen laughs. "She looked like that even before you left our place, so I don't blame you. Charlie is in the shower right now, but I don't mind taking you," he tells me.

"Sorry if it's an inconvenience or anything, I just don't have a car and I forgot something that I kinda really need," I say.

"It's no problem," he assures me. "Just let me grab my stuff and I'll be right back."