chapter thirty-six

Once again, I spend most of my time watching the others rehearse. There's not much left to do in the studio, and watching the band play is always the next best thing. Also, Owen continually looks over at me and smiles while he's playing, and it's making my stomach do flips.

We still haven't told the others about what happened last night. I guess we're just waiting on the right time. I have no idea when the right time will be, but we'll figure it out- we always do.

I've never been good at singing, but watching the band makes me wish I was. I love dancing, don't get me wrong, but singing is a gift I'd love to have. The only time I'll sing is whenever I'm in my car alone, with the volume turned all the way up. My voice sounds like that of a dying goat. But I guess we all have our talents- and the people I'm watching perform right now lucked out in the talent department.

They're supposed to start filming for Stand Tall next week, which makes me really sad. The show is coming to a close, and I hate it. I've found my people here, I don't want to leave them. Plus, I have no idea what I'm going to do when I get home. I haven't spoken to my parents in months. For all I know, they've trashed all of my stuff.

I decide to not dwell on the fact that I only have a couple of weeks left with these wonderful people. Plus, I apparently have a date with Owen tomorrow. I have no idea what he has planned, but I'm very excited nonetheless. Owen's very considerate, and I know whatever he has planned will be perfect.

The day goes by quickly, and we get off earlier than usual, which is an added bonus. Once they're done, the guys and Madison all come over to where I've been sitting and watching them.

"Enjoy the show, Jenny?" Charlie smiles once they reach me.

"Of course," I respond, pushing myself up so that I'm standing. "You are all amazing. And Madison, your vocals are breathtaking."

"Thank you!" she exclaims.

"You've been a great cheerleader over here, watching us all day," Jeremy grins, giving me a side hug.

"Only because you all deserve it," I respond.

"Aw, we love our emotional support cheerleader," Charlie says.

"Yes, we do," Owen winks, instantly making me blush.

"You all give me too much credit. All I do is watch and listen. And what I'm seeing and hearing is absolute perfection, and that's just a plain fact," I say.

"See? Emotional support cheerleader," Charlie teases.

We all have to leave soon after that. I say goodbye to Jeremy and Madison (who tells me to text her over the weekend) and walk back to the car with the boys. Owen climbs into the backseat with me, as per usual, leaving Charlie all alone up front. He doesn't even bother to complain, he's used to it at this point.

"We doing another movie night at your place, Jenny?" Charlie asks once we're all in the car.

"I guess so. That is our usual Friday thing."

"I say we watch a scary movie tonight. We're always watching a Disney movie or one of those sappy romantic movies you and Sav love so much. We need to change it up a bit," he tells me.

I instantly shake my head no. "I can't stand scary movies. Hard pass, Charles."

"Aw, come on," he pleads. "You're gonna be cuddling with Owen the whole time anyway. You can just hold onto him for safety," he grins, and I shake my head in exasperation, partly because I know I'm not going to win this argument, and also because Charlie still has no clue what happened with me and Owen. Owen and I share a knowing glance, and he gives me a little nose scrunch before grabbing my hand.