chapter thirty-seven

I woke up to Owen running his fingers through my hair. I didn't even move, I just laid there for a couple more minutes and let him play with my hair. I'm surprised I didn't fall back asleep.

My hand was resting on his stomach, and I felt him put his other hand on mine. I softly grabbed it and intertwined my finger with his, signaling that I was awake.

"You awake, bugaboo?" he whispers. I nod slightly but keep my eyes closed. "Don't worry, we can stay in bed as long as you want this morning."

"Good," I say softly, snuggling closer to him.

"Jenny, you're really cute when you're half-asleep like this," he says, making me smile. I don't say anything in response, but I slowly rub his hand that I'm holding with my thumb.

We stay like that for a while, I think with both of us each drifting in and out of sleep. When I finally wake up for good, I look up to see that Owen is asleep once again. I check my watch and see that it's already 11:30, which is probably the latest we've ever slept in. I take this chance to play with Owen's hair while he's asleep.

He starts to stir after a few minutes. When he opens my eyes and sees me already looking at him, he instantly smiles.

"Hi," I smile back at him.

"Hey yourself. What time is it?"

"A little after 11:30."

His eyes instantly go wide. "Whoa, wonder how our friends will react to this one. The latest we've ever slept in was like 10:30, and even then I got so many questions from Charlie."

"He loves to butt in on our relationship, doesn't he? Thinking he knows all, so high and mighty," I joke.

"We'll put him in his place today. We still need to tell him and Sav what happened, especially so we won't get tortured by both of them when we go out tonight."

"Yeah, we do. Also, are you going to tell me what we're doing tonight? Or are you just gonna continue to leave me in the dark?"

"I want it to be a surprise," he grins. "I know you don't like unknowns, but I promise it'll be worth it."

"You better be glad I like you, or else I wouldn't agree to this."

"Aw, Jenny," he said, engulfing me in a hug.

Against our better judgment, we stay in bed for another solid thirty minutes. We agreed that we were too warm and cozy to move. Plus, we didn't want to deal with Charlie and Sav's snarky comments that were obviously coming our way soon. Eventually, we do somehow make it out of bed, walking into the living room together.

"Well, if it isn't the two lovebirds," I hear Charlie say, and see that he's laying on the couch, still covered up in the same blanket he used last night. "Thought you'd never get up."

"Well, we're here now," I say, too lazy to come up with a better response. "Where's Savannah?"

"In her room, I guess."

"Wow, thank you for that enlightening piece of information."

"Anytime."

I'm not sure whether to fix breakfast or lunch, but I'm extremely hungry. I end up eating chocolate PopTarts, along with a CapriSun. Not the most nutritious, but honestly, I don't really care.

I go back to the living room and sit down on the couch beside Owen, earning a smirk from Charlie. Savannah also joins us a few minutes later, still looking groggy. Seems like none of us wanted to be awake this morning.

"Does anyone have any plans today, or are we all just going to keep sitting around here half-asleep?" Charlie asks. I glance over at Owen, silently asking for him to help me out.