My Santa Fe- Jatherine

The wailing of a baby came from across the hall, waking up both Katherine and Jack. They groaned in unison as they fought for their right to sleep.

"Kath", Jack whined, his voice muffled by the pillows, "can you get her?"

Katherine moaned and turned to face away from her husband, facing the wall. "No. You get her."

Jack sighed and tried again. "Please? I'm really tired."

"If you don't move your ass across the hall, so help me God, I will throw you in the oven and serve you to stray dogs."

Jack sat up, sighing and shaking his head at his adorable wife. He removed the covers from across his legs and walked out of the room to his daughters room, who was still crying and wailing.

Jack shuffled to her crib and picked her up, careful not to hold her to tensely or too loosely. She cried for a bit more, Jack rocking her softly in his arms, shushing her.

"Good morning, Maggie", he smiled at his daughter's chocolate eyes. She looked just like him, with her mother's hair and nose. It was almost as if his attitude was hereditary; they acted so much alike. To Jack, Margaret Ethel Kelly was the most beautiful creature in the world.

He started to hum a song, hoping that would calm her down. The song was a familiar tune he grew up with, a song that hadn't left his brain until these past nine months. He smiled at the memories and started to sing.

"Close your eyes", he sang softly, smiling when the cries quieted down. "Come with me. Where it's clean and green and pretty. And they went and made a city out of clay."

Maggie stared at her dad with chocolate brown eyes, curiosity, excitement, and tiredness flooding them as he sang. A true combination of her parents.

"Wait 'til the minute that you get there", Jack continued. "Folks will walk right up and say, "Welcome home, kid. Welcome home to Santa Fe."

Jack continued to sing softly, smiling as he saw his daughter's eyes droop to a close by the end of the song.

"Don't you know that we's a family", Jack sang. "Would I ever let you down? No way. Just hold on, kid, 'til that train makes Santa Fe."

Maggie finally fell asleep again, expected not to wake up for a another few hours. Jack placed her in her crib, placing a kiss on her forehead, smiling softly at the new edition to the Newsies family. He turned around to find his wife standing in the doorframe. He smiled and wrapped his arms around her waist.

"I thought you were sleeping", he smirked, placing a kiss to her forehead.

"I thought you stopped thinking about Santa Fe", Katherine smiled, returning the kiss. Jack smiled and looked at the crib his daughter lay in.

"Don't you get it?" Jack grinned, glancing back at Katherine. "That kid is my Santa Fe."

————————————————————————

I thought of this while I was washing the dishes.

I don't usually write Jatherine, but I knew this wouldn't be perfect if it wasn't. I just felt compelled.

I watched Love, Simon for the first time a couple days ago! It was a really good movie.

Stay breezy✨✌🏾🦙