Chapter Twenty Four

"Shame what's become of this place. When I was young, we used to come here for fabulous dinners and parties. I knew nothing of the politics of the time, of course, but I remember it being beautiful." Zemo says as you look around the place, nothing like how it must have been. 

"I'm gonna take a look around upstairs. See what you can find out here. And keep an eye on him." Sam nods at you and Bucky. 

"I'll stay out of your way." Zemo says to you as you and Bucky walk round talking to people... not using your powers as not to spook anyone.  After a while Zemo is the only one with any info, you all come back to the apartment. 

"Well, I got nothin'. No one's talkin' about Donya." Bucky sighs, heavily sitting on the sofa. 

"Yeah, it's because Karli is the only one fighting for them."

You sigh, joining Bucky on the sofa his arm stretched out for you. 

"And she's not wrong."

"What do you mean?" You shift so you can look at Sam but still be nestled in Bucky arm.

"For five years, people have been welcomed into countries that have kept them out using barbwire. There were houses and jobs. Folks were happy to have people around to help them rebuild. It wasn't just one community coming together, it was the entire world coming together. And then, boom. Just like that, it goes right back to the way it used to be. To them, at least Karli's doin' somethin'."

"You really think her ends justify her means? Then, she's no different than him or anybody else we've fought." Bucky points at Zemo.

"She's different. She's not motivated by the same things."

"That little girl. What'd she tell you?" You ask Zemo as he heads over with his tea tray. 

"The funeral is this afternoon."

 "You know the Dora's coming for you any minute. In fact, they're probably lurking outside right now. Keep talking." 

"Leaving you to turn on me once we get to Karli. Hmm. I prefer to keep my leverage." Suddenly Bucky stand, taking the cup from Zemo and smashing it across the floor, squaring right up to him. 

"You wanna see what someone can do with leverage?" 

"Take it easy. Don't engage him. He's just gonna extort you and do that stupid head tilt thing." 

"I could read his mind..." you say as you walk up to Bucky, your presents at his side calming him down. 

"Then I will break my earlier promise.." he looks at you, handing you some tea which you sip. 

"What promise?" Bucky looks between you.  

"Let me make a call." Sam walks off.

"Seriously what promise..." Bucky pulls you to one side while Sam is on the phone. 

"Can we not right now..." You don't look at him. 

"Ha, you're funny, what the hell is going on." You don't look at him so he follows your adverting gaze with his head. 

"I will hit you..." 

"Then look at me.." 

"Fine!" You shout whisper, looking at him with a fierce look. "Hydra..." you swallow hard "Zemo read my file he knows everything there is to know about me..." 

"Right..?" Bucky is a little confused and still concerned.

"He knows about a part of my past.... no ... of our past we don't..." you bite your lip as you try to control the tears.