Chapter Twenty

Walking on stage as the enormous fanfare takes place you watch as John jogs over to the main stage where the TV woman is sat, a huge fake smile plastered on her face.

"Ladies and gentlemen... Your new Captain America!"  You hear over the mic, the crowed continues to cheer. 

"How much are these lot getting paid to pretend he's Captain America?" You make a quiet snide remark. 

"They're not..." Lamar replies to you. 

"Arseholes." Lamar just shakes his head, trying hard to hide a smile. Although you despised his dearest friend with every fibre of your being, he actually quite liked you. You were fearless, a hero, funny and not to mention stunning. It was a shame, that in your love for Sargent Barnes you were so hostile and blinded that they had to keep you under such tight control, the cuffs obviously hurting you immensely but it was the only thing to make sure you could use your power unless they said so. 

"John, I think the first thing everyone wants to know is what is it like being Captain America? Do eagles fly overhead wherever you go? The TV woman asks as the crowed slowly settles. 

"Uh, yes." John laughs, its a fake and annoying laugh for the cameras you roll your eyes but Lamar nudges you. "Yeah, that and flags tend to start majestically waving in the wind."

"And how's the tour been? I know they did a big rollout for you, right?"

"It's the greatest honor of my life. Um, but I'm just a little shocked, I think. How did a guy like me end up here?" He give a laugh. 

"Oh, wait, wait, wait. "A guy like me"? Somebody's being a bit too humble. For those of you who aren't familiar with his résumé, "John Walker, first person in American history to receive three Medals of Honor, ran RS-One missions in counterterrorism and hostage rescue." The government did a study of your body at MIT, and you tested off the charts in every measurable category. Speed, endurance, intelligence..."

"Look, here's the thing, uh, I'm not Tony Stark, I'm not Dr. Banner, okay? I don't have the flashiest gadgets, I don't have super strength. But what I do have is guts. Something Captain America always had, always needs to have, and I'm gonna need every ounce of it. Because I got big shoes to fill." 

"Too fucking right..." you say a little too loud this time, causing even John to clock up and give you a look. 

"Did you know Steve Rogers?" The woman asks. 

" I was two years out of West Point when Steve came back on the scene. I followed his career very closely as an Avenger. I like to think that I modeled my work after his......I liked that what I was doing would make people feel safe. Steve Rogers was the kind of guy who could do that, he gave me hope. Even though I never met him, he feels like a brother." 

"Son of a..." Lamar clicked something on a small remote leaving you to feel immense electric shocked though your body to shut you up. 

"Sorry..." 

"No you're not battle dick..." you huffed as you pulled yourself together. 

"Battle Star...." he corrected. 

"Still stupid."

Your attention turns back to the interview as you hear the woman ask about the surprise John has. 

"Yes! I do..." he stand "Throughout my life, I have met many brave and wonderful people and no more so than this woman, a hero, an avenger and America's new Sweetheart" he stretches his hand out to welcome you onto the stage "my Y/N" Lamar pushes you toward the stage as you reluctantly walk towards John, the crowed appearing as you walk on. Your hair, chemically and painfully straightened out and styled in unmoving waves, white still but now looking more normal. Your uniform, a navy outfit, to tight to be practical, you boobs being pushed onto display and the skirt feeling like it was exposing you, even though it wasn't and some red boots. You felt like a prick, but under the rules you walked on, giving a quick smile to a camera and then allowing John to hug you, kiss you on the check and then sit you down, the crowed still going wild.