Chapter Eighteen

-Present Day - Still Endgame -

. . .  WITH THE AVENGERS. . . 

"Come on man, we have to leave for the funeral." Bucky made no attempt to move, his eyes fixed. It had been a few weeks since the fight with Thanos, the media had gotten hold of half the story and on finding remains of Iron Mans suit they assumed he'd died saving the world and a national day of mourning and celebration had taken place. Tony had seen this as an opportunity to resume his second chance and honour the sacrifice you had made for him, not not make your suffering a waste. Everyone had assured him it was what you would want and that they would do their upmost to protect this secret.

The avengers were all beginning gathering around the lake side by the cabin Tony had, it was a secret location, undetectable as they mourn the loss of the fallen, there's a heavy silence as they watch Pepper, Tony and Morgan put a wreath in the water.

Tony does a speech, on behalf of everyone

"She should be here...." Bucky said monotone as Sam pats him on the back.

"Its ok Buck.. It will be ok. Theres a lot of people who should be here." 

"I wish we could let them know...." Clint walks over to join them.

"They know" Wanda also appears by Bucky's side. Theres a pause. "How is she?" 

"No change..." Bucky eventually looks up to meet Wanda's eyes, her loss evident in them. 

"Y/N is strong, she'll pull through." Wanda gives Bucky a reassuring hug, before saying her goodbyes and heading out to mourn alone....emotions building up inside. 

"You guys ready?" Bruce and Steve head over to Bucky and Sam, pulling Bucky out of his daydream of you in the hospital in a coma.

"As we'll ever be...although it's not us going though the quantum realm thingy to put back the stones" Sam looks amused at the idea Steve got roped with this job. 

"Well couldn't trust anyone else with such an important mission" he jests back as the four men walk towards a small scale quantum platform outside hidden in Tony's garden. 

"Now, remember– You have to return the stones to the exact moment you got them. Or you're gonna open up a bunch of nasty alternative realities." Bruce warns Steve.

"Don't worry, Bruce. Clip all the branches." He gives him an assured Captain America voice, repeating the mission prep.

 "You know, I tried. When I had the gauntlet, the stones, I really tried to bring her back." He looks at Steve "I know Y/N would have too... I miss her, man." Bruce get emotional as he thinks about Nat.

"Me, too."

"You know, if you want, I can come with you." Sam suggests, not really wanting to go but feeling like he should offer to help.

"You're a good man, Sam. This one's on me, though." He gives him a kindly look before he goes over to Bucky.

"Don't do anything stupid 'till I get back."

"How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you." Bucky replies as they both hug each other.

 "Gonna miss you, Buddy." Bucky says warmly, knowing already Steves plan.

 "It's gonna be okay, Buck, Y/N will wake up." 

"I hope so..." he sighs, the same feeling he had when you got injured at Hydra was there, a fear and panic he couldn't place. 

"Just think about what I said ok?" 

"I will" He gives a small smile as he pretends to salute his friend one last time. Laughing Steve goes over to the Quantum portal and dons the Quantum suit.

"How long is this gonna take?" Sam asks practically.

"For him? As long as he needs. For us? Five seconds." Bruce replies, fiddling with buttons. Steve picks up Mjolnir and dons his quantum suit.

|Ready, Cap? Alright. We'll meet you back here, okay?"

"You bet."

"Going quantum. Three, two, one..." Steve disappears into the Quantum portal. "And returning in, five, four, three, two, one..." but Steve doesn't appear on the pad. Bruce looks around the equipment.

"Where is he?" Sam is concerned immediately but Bucky just casually turns from the pad, looking out into the distance, he spots an old man on the bench, realising its Steve he motions for Sam to stop arguing with Bruce and calls him over to look at the man. 

"Sam..." Sam walks toward Bucky, realising who its is he motions for them to both head over.

"Go ahead." Bucky has a smile forming and looks over to Sam, a warm feeling of the right thing about to happen washes over him, he knew you'd be thrilled too.

"Cap?" Sam asks the old man, a brow raised. 

"Hi, Sam." an older, much older Steve looks up and smiles at his friend. 

"So did something go wrong, or did something go right?" Sam smiles coyly.

"Well, after I put the stones back, I thought, maybe I'll try some of that life Tony was telling me to get."

"How'd that work out for you?"

"It was beautiful."

"I'm happy for you. Truly."

"Thank you."

"Only thing bumming me out is the fact I have to live in a world without Captain America." Sam jests but there is a hidden sadness to his voice.

 "Oh, That reminds me." The elderly Steve brings out his shield. "Try it on." Sam look over to Bucky, who nods, and Sam holds Steve's shield.

"How does it feel?"

"Like it's someone else's."

"It isn't." Steve assures Sam as the later tries to hold back tears.

"Thank you. I'll do my best." 

"That's why it's yours" Steve says like is obvious as he shakes Sam's hand. On seeing elderly Steve's wedding ring, Sam looks at him eyebrows raised. "You wanna tell me about her?"

With a cheeky grin, "No. No, I don't think I will." Steve replies "which reminds me.... if Y/N wakes up.... when Y/N wakes up." Steve corrects himself as he looks up towards Bucky. "well, you know" he says a twinkle in his eye to Sam who nods.

 . . . WITH YOU. . . 

A man in a suit hovers over you, your body is currently fighting its way out of a comma, only semi aware of sounds. 

"Have her moved before she wakes up, I have big plans for this one, if she's as useful as both Hydra and the avengers say she is, this plan will be like a day dream!" and with that the man walks out, leaving a team of both doctors and government security detail to move you and the equipment to a safer location.