Part 11: The Doctor

“Mum! What are you doing here?”

“Sarah.” John Smith said in a shocked voice.

Sarah Jane could not believe her eyes. John Smith looked no older than he had the day she met him eleven years ago. There wasn’t a wrinkle on his face or a grey hair on his head; he was exactly the same.

“Sarah, I can explain.” John said, backing away from her.

“You can explain what? How you have been tutoring my daughter under a false name? How you haven’t changed at all since the last time we met? What can you explain?” Sarah Jane asked furiously.

“Everything Sarah, I can explain it all.”

“Stop calling me that! Only one person can call me that!” Sarah Jane cried. She had never lost it like that before. But what else could she do? She was scared and confused.

“The Doctor?” John asked, a small smile creeping across his face.

“How do…oh!” Sarah Jane’s heart leapt. It was him. After all these years!

“Yes Sarah.”

“Doctor!” He hadn’t abandoned her! He had been with her all that time! He had held her hand when she needed him most; he had looked after her daughter.

“Mum? What is going on?” Victoria asked. Sarah Jane had almost forgotten that her daughter was in the room.

“Victoria. My name is the Doctor. I have known your mother for a very long time.” The Doctor said, bending down before the confused child.

“Doctor why are you here?” Sarah Jane asked. At this the Doctor’s face fell.

“What’s wrong?” Sarah Jane asked.

“Sarah, nearly twelve years ago you encountered an alien. An alien that inhabited your body and made you do things you didn’t want to do.” The Doctor said.

“What did it make me do Doctor?” Sarah asked. Most people would have been astounded to hear that an alien had taken her over but even though Sarah Jane couldn’t remember it, she still believed it.

“Victoria, its nearly break time, you should go outside.” The Doctor said quickly. Victoria gave them both strange looks but she followed the order without complaint.

“Doctor, you’re scaring me.” Sarah Jane said as soon as the door shut behind her daughter.

“Don’t be frightened Sarah, but what I’m about to tell you may come as a bit of a shock. The alien was here on earth because it wanted orgasmic energy.”

“You mean…”

“Yes.” The Doctor looked very uncomfortable, this was the last thing he wanted to do.

“Sarah, the alien forced you to have sex with people, including myself.”

“Doctor I…” Sarah Jane tried to interrupt.

“I’m sorry Sarah but that isn’t the worst of it, during this process the alien took the lives of its victims.”

She couldn’t believe it. She had murdered; she had killed innocent men.

“No! I can’t have done those things! I would have remembered!” Sarah Jane cried. The Doctor wrapped his arms around his old companion and began stroking her hair.

“I’m sorry Sarah. I had to take away the memories, I knew you wouldn’t be able to handle knowing this. But it wasn’t your fault! It was the alien’s fault!”

“It used my body, without me it wouldn’t have been able to kill!” Sarah Jane cried.

“I’m sorry Sarah, but we can’t concentrate on that now, we need to look after Victoria, she is part Time Lord Sarah, she is special.” The Doctor said.

Sarah Jane pulled away from him.

“You’re her dad! Doctor I was so frightened! I was imagining the worst, all because you took away my memories! You had no right to do that!” She shouted.

“Sarah please try to understand, I did it for you!” The Doctor cried.

“Goodbye Doctor!” Sarah Jane said. She ran out of the room, tears streaming down her face. Victoria was waiting outside the door.

“What’s wrong mummy?” She asked; her big eyes were full of confusion and fear.

“We’re going home honey, come on.”