Chapter 40

MACIES POV

"Wake up." She demands. I roll onto my side, keeping my eyes closed.

"Go away, I'm tired."

"You wake up right now you ugly, fat, worthless piece of..."

"I'm awake!" I shoot my eyes open before she can finish her sentence.

"Good. Now get dressed.

"But it's still early."

"Yes, but that tight shirt makes you look huge. Change." She demands. I reach to the ground and grab a sweatshirt to pull overtop. I look at myself in the mirror and turn around. I hate my body.

I go to the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth then stare at the makeup sitting next to the sink. I wish I was pretty. I run a powder brush across my face and do my eye makeup.

"Can I eat something today?" I ask when I finish, placing my hand on my empty stomach.

"No."

"But I'm so hungry. Please."

"Fine! You can have a salad. A small salad. No dressing."

"Thank you." I nod. I eagerly run out of the bathroom and down the stairs. It's only 8:30 so Garret's probably still sleeping.

I open the fridge and grab out a variety of vegetables, chopping them up into a bowl and grabbing a fork. The food disappears quickly, but I stop myself from making more.

"Macie... Why are you up so early?" Garret sleepily walks into the kitchen wearing only shorts. "Wait, did you just eat something?"

"I... Um..." I freeze up. "I don't know." I push past my brother and run back up to my room. "Are you still there?" I ask.

"Go to the bathroom right now." She tells me. I walk into the washroom and look in the mirror. "Now throw it up."

"What? No!"

"YES!" She demands. I feel my anger growing inside of me.

"NO!" I shout back. I stay in place for a few seconds awaiting her response, but there isn't one. Where'd she go? I look my body up and down in the mirror. Is she gone?

~

DANNYS POV

My phone vibrates under my cheek and I jolt awake. I'm still fully clothed, lying in my bed. I must've passed out as soon as I got home. I eagerly reach for my phone, hoping for it to be a call from Macie.

"Hello?" I answer without reading the contact name.

"Hey Danny, sorry I didn't text you last night." Garret's voice speaks.

"It's okay. I was a little occupied anyways." I think back to my talk with Rick and how I need to be there for Macie, even if she doesn't want me. Even if we're not together.

"How're you doing?"

"Okay I guess." I sit up and look at myself in the mirror. My eyes are still red and puffy from crying, my voice is raspy from hyperventilating and my heart is broken from her words.

"I'm really sorry man. I don't know why she would just dump you like that? She just... gets this way where she..."

"Talks to someone who isn't there?" I finish his sentence.

"Ya... Wait how'd you know?"

"I have a friend whose sister went through the same thing." I hear him sigh from the other end and can mentally see him running his hand over his hair.