Chapter 34

MACIES POV

I jolt awake at the sound of my alarm. I bring the terrible beeping to a stop and slowly sit up. Garret and I decided it was best to try and go back to normality, which sadly includes returning to prison... I mean school.

I take my time to stretch and stand up. I change into a pair of black skinny jeans and a black crop top. I leave my hair to do its own thing and do my usual, natural looking makeup routine. I lace up my blue converse, throw on my All Time Low sweater, grab my phone and backpack, then head downstairs. Garret's sitting on the couch, scrolling through his phone.

"Ready?" I ask.

"Did you eat breakfast?"

"No, I'm not hungry."

"Macie...?" He mumbles, disapproval clear in his tone.

"I'm okay Garret, I'm really just not hungry. Now please, lets go." I insist. He sighs before rising from the couch and grabbing his keys.

"Okay. C'mon." He opens the door. About a year ago I went through an eating disorder. I would go days, weeks even without eating. I tried to keep it a secret until Garret started getting suspicious. I eventually ended up telling him and he did his best to help me. One day I passed out and was taken to the hospital, where my parents found out. They were really understanding and supportive of me through the process of me getting better. Eventually I managed to gain back weight and become healthy again, but sometimes it's hard for me to eat. I think Garret's just worried that I will relapse, but honestly...
I am too.

Garret parks the car in the student lot and we both get out. We get a few looks, waves and sympathetic smiles as we walk to the doors.

"Ya, I heard their parents died..." A blonde girl whispers to her brunette friend. They both smile at us as we walk by.

"This is fucked up." I tell Garret when we reach our lockers.

"It's gonna take some getting used to." He responds. I grab my books and close my locker. "See you in homeroom."

"Bye." I walk away and head downstairs to the chemistry lab.

"Macie?" Danny looks up from his phone at me. I hurriedly walk over to him and accept his hug. "How're you doing?"

"Okay. People keep smiling at me." He laughs silently before gesturing me to sit down with him. The class goes by quickly. Mr. Benson tells me not to worry about the homework, which is nice of him. Ariana shoots me a glare every chance she gets, which I've become used to. Not much had changed since the last time I've been here, only that fact that this time I'm my own legal guardian.

*RING*

"Okay, that's all for today class, I'll see you all tomorrow. Macie, can I have a word with you?" Mr. Benson smiles at me. I nod and grab my bag.

"See you at lunch." I tell Danny. I walk up to the front and rest my fist on the teachers desk. I push my hair begin my ear and nervously wait for him to speak.

"I'm so sorry about what happened. I only wish the best for you an your brother. I hope you're doing alright."

"We are, thanks." I put on my best fake smile.

"Of course. Now head off to your next class, you don't want to be late." I nod at him again before walking out of the classroom. I've never liked getting sympathy from other people, because it makes me feel weak, but I guess this is just something I'll have to deal with for the next while or so.

...

The rest of the day goes pretty much the same. A lot of awkward smiles, apologies and being kept after class by the teacher for a pep talk. The bell rings for the end of art class and I walk out with Danny, Paul, Teala and Garret.

"Hey Taylor!" A voice calls from down the hall. Garret and I both look to see Drew walking over to us. I gesture for Paul, Danny and Teala to leave in order to prevent any drama.

"Hey Drew." I speak kindly. Garret waves slightly, but Drew keeps his focus on me. His eyes scan my body and I try my best to ignore my immediate instinct to slap him.

"Hey, there's a party on Friday at Terrell's, wanna come? You can bring your brother and whoever else you want." I look at Garret before facing Drew again. He smirks in an attempt to get me to smile, but I brush him off.

"I'll think about it."

"Aw, c'mon! It'll be fun!" He pleads. I take a deep breath in and let it out before replying.

"Maybe. See you tomorrow." I nod before walking away. Garret follows me and we meet the rest of our crew by Danny and Pauls lockers.

"What'd he want?" Teala asks. Paul wraps his arm around her waist and I can't help myself from awwing on the inside. They make such a cute couple.

"He invited me to a party on Friday."

"Are you going?" Danny leans against his locker and runs his thumb under the strap of his backpack.

"He did say you could bring whoever else you want." Garret nudges my arm and I giggle.

"I don't know. I don't know if it's a good idea..."

"So what time should we be there?" Paul closes his locker and everyone laughs. We all walk upstairs to go to Garret's and my lockers.

"Hey, I said I don't know if I'm going." I giggle as we reach the top of the stairs and approach our destination. I click my lock open and throw a few papers inside.

"Macie lets go. It'll be fun!" Garret turns to me. I look at his pleading face, along with the rest of the group before deciding how to answer.

"Fine." I sigh, finally giving in. Everyone cheers and hugs me from behind. I shut my locker and sling my bag over my shoulder. Garret repeats my action and the five of us walk out of the school together.

"See you guys tomorrow!" Teala waves goodbye as we all head separate ways. I guess going to a party will be alright. I could use something to distract me from all my other thoughts. After all, how bad could it be?

(A/N: Yay! I'm so excited for the next few chapters!😱)