Chapter 21

It's still dark outside when I wake up to the sound of a text. I must have forgotten to turn my phone on silent. I check to see that mom sent a message to the group chat with the four of us, her, dad, myself, and Garret.

Mom: Arrived safely. See you kids soon. Love you.

Relief washes over me and I reply instantly.

Macie: Yay! Love you guys<3

Garret: Luv u my bbgs

Dad: Love you. Now go to sleep you hooligans

I return my phone to the nightstand after switching it off sound.

"Macie...?" Danny mumbles in his sleep, and his hand moves around like he's looking for me. I lean into his chest and his arm finds it's way around my torso. My nerves haven't completely vanished, but I feel more calm knowing that they've arrived safely. I quickly find myself dozing off again, while thinking about the time my dad tried to teach Garret and I to play baseball when we were 6 and I ended up hitting Garret in the face with a bat. He lost one of his front teeth, but at least he got 5 dollars from the tooth fairy. Even though I was the one who caused the incident, the next day we went to the store and he bought candy that we ate together while playing on the swing set that mom forced dad to buy and set up. A smile plays across my lips as my minds shuts off and I don't awake until the sun is risen.

~

DANNYS POV

I blink a few times before rubbing my eyes and forcing them to fully open. Macie is wide awake on her phone, her legs intertwined with mine.

"I didn't want to wake you." She smiles and sets her phone on her nightstand. I pull her into my chest and wrap my arms around her. My phone sounds with a phone call and I use one arm to reach for it. My moms contact name reads across the screens and I swipe to accept.

"Hello?" I groggily speak.

"Hi! Danny, I need you to pick your sister up from the airport. Sorry for the short notice, but I can't and your dads out of the house. Do you think you can do it?" She sounds worried, and I assume that I'm her last resort.

"Ya. Of course."

"Thanks honey." I can hear the relief in her voice.

"No problem. Bye."

"Bye." I hang up and see Macie looking at me with her adorable grey eyes.

"I have to go pick up my sister from the airport." I tell her.

"Okay." She smiles as she untangles herself from me and sits up, wrapping her arms around her knees. I stand up and shove my phone in my pocket. I'm still wearing my clothes from yesterday, so I'm already good to go.

"I'll see you in like and hour or so. Depends on if she makes me stop at McDonald's." I laugh and she does as well. Right before I walk out I lean down to kiss her goodbye. She smiles at the unexpected gesture as I walk out of the room. I wonder is Macie knows that every time she smiles my heart races? I wonder is she can feel the way my body reacts to her touch? I wonder is she knows how nervous she makes me because she just so damned perfect? I close the front door behind me and get into my car.
I wonder if she wonders these things about me?

~

MACIES POV

The lack of Danny's presence encourages me to finally get up. I rise from my bed and slip on some socks. The braid that I put my hair in last night is a little batted up but still tolerable. I assume Garret is still sleeping, so it's pointless to try and encourage him to come downstairs with me.