Chapter Fourteen.

Start from the beginning

“And looking back now, would you say what you did was the best way to go about it?” 

“No.”

DAMMIT, BABA! 

WHAT WAS MY REASON?! 

He was too manipulative for his own good.

“Right. Sameena?”

“Um,” I said lamely, trying to think of something. I glanced at Ziad for help as he was my twin, the one who always helped me when I was stuck in one of baba’s grilling sessions. He just shook his head at me. Traitor! “Erm, because I love Mira?” I could see her from my peripheral vision, trying not to smile at my comment.

Baba raised a brow. “Try again.”

“Fine. I did what I did, because my best friend asked for support and I wasn’t going to leave her during her time of need.” 

“Could you have support her differently?”

“Yes, I could’ve.”

Baba nodded again, satisfied. “So I think you guys have realised, that your arguments have collapsed in on themselves. I know that you know you’re in the wrong. I’m not here to tell you that. I also know that you all acted impulsively, although I’ll be so bold to say that I’m surprised Salem wasn’t the voice of reason amongst the two of you.” I shook my head in protest but baba continued to speak. “Everyone makes wrong decisions and I understand that. I’m speaking to you now to make sure that you learn from your mistakes, so that if anything like this ever happens again, you don’t make the same mistakes, fall into the same traps. Do you understand what I’m saying?”

We all nodded. 

“Mira, I understand you’re having a difficult time at home and that this was a result of that. I’m extremely saddened at what happened and I’m sorry you’ve had to suffer through this. I understand that you came to your best friend first for security and advice but this is more serious than you think and you should have seeked help from higher authorities immediately. You know that we take domestic violence very seriously in this country.” Mira nodded at baba’s words, wiping a stray tear of her face and sniffing sadly. Baba looked at her sympathetically. “I thought you’d like to know that your father was arrested and will have a court hearing a month from now. You and the rest of your family will be staying at our home until further notice.” 

“Thank you amu,” she croaked out, wiping another tear. “And I’m sorry for pulling everyone into this mess.” 

I took her hand in mine again. “Don’t apologise.” 

“Salem, as my number one trusted guard, I would have hoped that in cases like these, you would have come to me, or at the very least, Ziad. Not only because of the severity of the situation but because my very own daughter life was involved.”

“I understand,” Salem spoke up, lifting his eyes off the floor and looking at baba. “My number one goal has been to protect your daughter and your family for the last twelve years of my life but last night, I failed to do that. I made a reckless decision but it was only because I know and care for Sameena like a sister. I know she is stubborn and that she would have probably gone on with the plan with or without my help and well…I’d rather it be with.” He glanced back at the floor and clenched his jaw. “I understand if you want to terminate my contract and end my position with you.”