24

chatter filled the background of the lobby, as people went on with their daily lives. some were seated on the couches in the lobby, making small talk, while busy employees hurried about.

the three of us, rona, ms. shim and i, were standing awkwardly in the middle of the lobby. there was dead silence between us, excluding the existing noise.

"i can explain-" i began to open my mouth, but rona grabbed onto my arm and shook her head.

"i think you already know," rona muttered, dropping her head to face her white sneakers.

"perhaps i suspected a thing when seokhoon seemed to be more interested in my daily motherly duties. however, it was how your eyes kept darting towards the baby on the couch earlier. i was reminded of how mothers tend to look at their kids, giving their utmost attention," she calmly said, placing a gentle hand on rona's shoulder.

"it's shocking to me, of course. but i know it wasn't easy," she continued, as rona broke down into sobs.

she gave her a warm embrace.

"i'm so sorry," she choked, tears streaming down her face, "this is something that should not have happened."

"shh, let's not cry about it anymore. instead, i'll take you two home," she reassured.

i'm hoping that the two develops a great relationship. ms. shim is so kind and caring, even when she found out about naeun. i was expecting her to be furious, but she was accepting. she understood that the baby was already born, and that it wasn't at all easy for rona.

remembering that i had to bring the package back upstairs for alex, i went back to the front counter.

the package was a huge box and it was a bit heavy. it had a wide width and a height that if i carried it in my arms, i wouldn't be able to see where i was going.

instead, two employees helped me bring it upstairs.

logan would be coming home any moment, so alex had to hide whatever it was.

alex singlehandedly carried the huge box upstairs, without a single word of complaint. i followed him silently as he opened the door to his room.

i followed him as he walked past his gaming table and plopped down on the rug in front of his window.

slicing the tape of the package, he revealed the items to be...

a bunch of luxury brand merchandise.

inside, there were smaller boxes, with brand names like dior, prada, louis vuttion, and gucci.

i watched as he carefully unboxed every item, treating it as if it were fragile porcelain.

a new gold watch, some shirts and pants. he had a whole haul of new luxury items.

"now you see, logan thinks i have a shopping addiction and fears i'll go broke. but in fact, i have a good reason this time," he said, grinning widely.

"what is it?" i asked, as he began organizing his new stuff into his closet.

"there's... a girl that i want to impress. i finally got her to agree to go on a date with me, so i thought i could show up in a cool outfit," he lowered his voice, as if he were embarrassed to admit he liked someone.

"oh my, alex lee has a crush? no wonder you haven't been going out to clubs lately. she's got you hooked," i teased him and he began to grow a bit shy.