CHAPTER 26: I can't get him, even if I try

HAZEL MARTINEZ

At night, Rafael was working in his laptop sitting on the couch while I was scanning through my phone. We didn't speak to each other the whole day and I hated it.

Suddenly...

Thud!

The thunder struck making me jump in fear.

Thud!

Again, fuck! I hate this. I closed my eyes covering both my ears with my hand.

"Hazel? You okay?"

I couldn't even reply I was already shaking and sweating.

"Hazel?" Rafael called again. But when I didn't reply, he came running to me and pulled me up from the bed making me sit, he cupped my face in his hands "Hey, what is it?"

Again I closed my eyes as if it would help me not to hear those sounds.

"Hazel, what's wrong?"

"S-Stop t-this please."

"Stop what?"

Thud!

Another one, I hid my face in the crook of his neck this time instantly he wrapped his arms around me trying to calm me down.

Thud!

My hold on his t-shirt tightened, pulling me closer he adjusted me on his lap properly rubbing my back continuously.

"It's okay. It's okay. You're fine."

I don't remember holding him when I fell asleep but when I woke up Rafael was not beside me anymore. Getting up I made my way towards the washroom when I came back Rafael was back in the room waiting for me impatiently.

When he saw me, he got up from the couch "What is wrong with you?" Without anything he asked directly.

"Nothing you should care about." I replied walking past him but he held my hand stopping me.

"What is wrong with you, Hazel? Why are you mad at me?"

Getting my hand out of his hold I said "You really don't know what am I mad about?"

"No."

"Since the night we had sex, you are pretending as if it's a big mistake."

"Because it is. We shouldn't have done it, after a year you'll be leaving Hazel, we are not in a kind of relationship that a husband and wife share."

"What if I... don't want to leave?"

"What?"

"What if I don't want to end this? What if I don't want the divorce from you?"

All he did was stare at me blankly I don't know what is he thinking but I said what I really feel.

I don't want to leave him.

"You have feelings for me?" He asked.

I remained quiet not knowing what to reply.

"Hazel. No. This is wrong."

"I know you love someone else Simon told me everything last night about you and Olivia but I love you, I really do."

He sighed "Haze-" before he could finish his sentence his phone rang. He went out to answer the call.

I made my way downstairs in search of food. Taking a seat in the dining room, the maid served me the food, quietly I started eating. Few minutes later, Rafael joined me. He took a seat beside me.