CHAPTER 16: HURT

HAZEL MARTINEZ

I was walking back to the penthouse though I never felt scared walking alone at night whenever I used to sneak out from my old house but today, I don't know why I was scared. After what happened yesterday of course I should be scared.

What if Rafael wouldn't have been there with me?

And why are those people even trying to kill me? Does Simon have any connection with them?

Fucking hell! This shit is complicated.

"Shall I be your bodyguard for the night?" Came a voice from behind making me jump in horror. I turned around with one hand placed on my chest.

"Jesus Connor! You scared me!" I said breathing heavily.

He chuckled then made his way towards me "Sorry for that dear lady."

I rested both my hands on my waist suspiciously scanning his face "You know sometimes I really wonder if you are stalking me, wherever I go, you are always there."

"Stalking? Oh I am so hurt. It's just I was walking back home after a dinner date which didn't go well, when I saw my friend so I thought why not walk her home."

"Oh Mr. Campbell that's so nice of you. I didn't know I have such a caring friend."

He bowed down in front of me making me laugh.

"You're funny."

He looked back trying to see someone, I tried to peek over his shoulder to see who was he looking at. But where he was looking it was really dark so I wasn't able to see anyone.

"Who's there?" I asked still trying peek.

He turned towards me then said "N-No one at all."

"Then why are you looking there?"

"Oh I heard something that's why I turned around."

My brows furrowed "What? I didn't hear anything."

"Then maybe I heard something wrong." He shrugged "Anyways let's leave."

I nodded but maybe he was really suspicious about what was that sound he kept turning back looking extremely distracted.

We walked down the streets talking and laughing about how his dinner date was a big failure. He was describing the whole date situation to me making me laugh more and more.

Suddenly he went quiet after few moments out of nowhere he asked "So tell me why are you sad now?"

I gave him a surprised look "How did you even know that?"

He chuckled "It's clearly visible on your face, something is definitely bothering you."

I wrapped my arms around myself feeling the cold wind, looking straight where we were walking.

"If you want, you can share it with me. I won't tell anyone."

"I know I can tell it to you."

"So what is it?"

"Rafael."

He chuckled once more hearing his name "Martinez?"

I nodded sadly "He doesn't want to understand anything, all he wants is for me to follow his orders."

"About what?"

I sighed "You follow the news?" he nodded. "There was an attack on my event after you left, some people are trying to kill me, Rafael saved me from them and since then he's being really protective about me."