Chapter 1, Eleanor

"I'm sorry for your loss."

"Thank you." I say, forcing a smile I reach out and shake the old man's hand then I watch him walk away to his car.

I have no idea who that was.

The death of my mother, June, had brought me back to the little town of Queensland, a place I haven't been since I left for college. 

I can remember the last time I spoke to my mother... we argued, like usual and she threw my suitcase out the door and then slammed the door in my face, since then... today was the first time I had seen my mother in an open coffin.

Wolves were the cause of this.

That's just my life story, wolves.

Who dies from wolves you say? People of Queensland have a reputation of being a hunting ground for a pack of rabid wolves, the police don't know what to think of it, there is never any tracks to follow in the forest, then only reason we know it's a wolf is the claw mark it leaves behind on its victim.

June Carmine was one word, crazy. But she wasn't always like that, before the death of my dad she was a normal loving mother, we did everything together, since the death of my father, Joseph, she was convinced it was wolves.

Since the whole 'she cried wolf' my mother and I were a laughing stock of Queensland, the sooner I left the better, I couldn't handle her drunk ramblings or her out-of-this-world thoughts, she would rarely sleep or eat, then she would talk about my dad for hours like he was already here.

She was sick, and there was nothing I or anyone could do to help her.

My dad died because of an accident, nothing wolf-related had hurt him, the police and I had shown her his autopsy to help her mind from wandering, but to no avail, she was convinced someone- or something did it and it will get her too.

I don't know what to feel, knowing the cause of her death.

Was she telling the truth? Or did she somehow do this to herself? No one knows.

I see father Thomas walk up to me, cradling the book that never leaves his hands. 

"How are you holding up Eleanor?" He asks me sympathetically. 

How was I holding up? 

I'm a wreck, I had yet to cry or mourn my mother, since her death I have been pulled into the whirlwind of rumors and conspiracy theories, a part of me is still dealing with the fact that she's gone... it seems so... unreal.

"I'll be fine, it's just... I can't believe she's gone." 

He smiles almost painfully at my answer then puts his hand on my shoulder and lightly squeezes. 

Father Thomas stayed next to me until I said goodbye to the last person at her funeral, I could tell there was something else he wanted to say to me from the look in his eye whenever he looked down at me, instead- he smiled and did not say a word.

Finishing up, I get my car keys from my purse and head outside of the church.

"Wait up, Eleanor!" 

Turning I see Father Thomas walk up to me with an envelope in his hand.

"Is something the matter father?" I ask him as I stare at his worried face, filled with mixed emotions.

I see him tense but regain composure just as fast. "Your mother had strict instructions to give this to you in the event of her death."  He says, handing me the envelope.

I take it and it feels as if theirs a key of some sort inside. "When did she-"

"Tell no one, show no one, your mother was very strict on that." Father Thomas says tensely. 

"I am sorry for your loss Eleanor, your mother was a dear friend of mine, but she got too close..."

"I've said too much, I'm sorry." He avoids eye contact then steps back and closes the door before I could open my mouth to ask what he meant.

"What the hell?" I mutter out angrily, clenching the envelope in my hands.

What did she get too close to? 

What did he mean by that?

I sigh out and rub my forehead then step away from the church to get into my car, once I get inside my car I sit back and sigh out again.

Staring at the envelope I can't help but frown, my mother's handwriting is on the front in her perfect cursive way of writing.

I don't know if I can do this any longer, even in her death she is still trying to pull me into her fantasy and crazy thoughts of wolves, opening this letter could lead me down a rabbit hole like my mother and end up dead or worse...

"Jesus mum, what happened to you." 

Opening the envelope I see a piece of paper folded inside and an old-looking key, with a wolf's head- odd but for my mother, this much is normal, I ignore the key for now and pick out the letter from inside.

Opening, I see my mothers handwriting, saying;

Dear Eleanor,

My child, if you are getting this letter it is because I have left this world and went on to the next, to be with my beloved mate Joseph in the afterlife.

Being a mother without my Joseph was hard, I tried to raise you the best I could given the circumstances, but I was weak and for that- I had failed to raise you. 

There was still so much to teach and tell you, I am sorry it had come to this and that I burden you now with the truth.

We are not alone Eleanor, the wolves are out there, they came for my Joseph and they will come for me, if you're reading this then I was murdered.

Before you were born, I was part of a pack, a community of people like me and your father, your father was a great male and even better father. 

When I found out I was pregnant with you, we ran and left our pack together to raise you. It made a lot of people angry, especially his family who are important people within our world, they were against our mating and tried to tear our family apart.

Joseph was an Alpha's son, he was the only heir and being mated to me- a common she-wolf with no title or wealth, his family shunned us and because of that, we ran.

The world we ran from is your home, full of history, and wealth beyond your imagination.

The key in the envelope is yours now.

If you believe me and want to know more, follow the bedrock behind the house, stand at the brink of the lake, and wait until dawn then search for the keyhole.

Never trust anyone, never tell them your name, and most of all, burn this note.

Your father and I watch over you now, do what you wish with what I have said in this letter, but please note that I have always loved you Eleanor, and I regret the words I said when I last spoke to you, I have always loved you, and I have always been proud of you.

Your father and I watch over you, always.

J.Carmine.