Confused(Trans/NB/Readers of all gender)

Requested by: Me, for all the people out there going through the same things I was(and still sometimes am)

I stepped my feet to the rhythm of the tune stuck in my head as I walked along the dirt path.  I made my way to Resident Services, saying hello to my neighbors along the way.  "Hey!  (Y/N)!"  I looked around, eventually spotting my favorite blue wolf.  Skye, my best friend for as long as I can remember, ran up to me, embracing me in a tight hug.

"How's my favorite person doing this morning?", she asked, letting go of me to catch my breath.  "I'm fine", I chuckled.  "Thanks, Skye"  "So ready to hang out today?", she asked, changing the subject.  "Actually, I was headed to Resident Services"  I replied.

Skye raised an eyebrow.  "Well I was hoping to move out of my tent and into a new house", I quickly continued.  "Well, why didn't you say you needed a place to live?!"  Skye put her arm on my shoulder.  "You can always come live with me if you want!"

Thinking about the tempting offer for a bit, I conclude.  "Thanks, but I think I'd rather have my own privacy."  "Oh, sure thing", she replied, a small blush on her face.  "The offer's open any time, though."  I patted my BFF on the back.  "Hey, wanna walk with me?", I asked changing the topic.  "Heck yeah!", Skye shouted at the top of her lunges.  I laughed as we goofed off on our way to Resident Services.

As I walked into Resident Services, an enthusiastic Tom Nook greeted me.  "Hello there, (Y/N)!  What can I do for you on this fine day?", he chirped, not skipping a beat.  "I was hoping to move into an actual home today", I cheekily replied.

"You want to move into a new home?", he repeated the same answer.  "Well, with the proper paperwork we can make that a dream come true, yes yes!"

Nook walked away from the counter and pulled out a small sheet of paper attached to a clipboard.  "We can get started on construction as soon as you fill out this paperwork!  This is all assuming you have the proper funds to afford this endeavor, hm?"

"Yeah yeah, I'll pay you back", I rolled my eyes, grabbing the clipboard.  I grabbed a small pen next to Nook and began filling out the form.  It was filled with basic questions, things like, "Where do you live?", and "What's your daily income?", and things like that.

Later down the form, a peculiar sight caught my attention.  A small line for filling in an answer sat next to one word.  "Gender".  As weird as this sounds, the answer isn't as easy for me as it would be for most people.  Part of me knows what the answer is, but...part of me doesn't know if it's the real answer.

Some nights I stayed up late, occupying my time with nothing but my thoughts.  I would always lay awake, asking myself so many questions, none of them have any answers.  Who am I?  Is this really me?  What if I don't want it to be me?  What if these feelings aren't true?  What if I'm just faking it for attention?

All these thoughts constantly battled back and forth.  It's such a simple question.  A stupid, stupidly simple question.  So...

Why can't I just find an answer for it already?

"(Y/N)?"  I heard Nook calling out my name, removing the thoughts from my head.  "Is there something wrong?   Something I can help you with, hm?"  Crap.  I realized I was sweating quite a bit, and drawing quite a bit of attention to myself(even though it is just me, Nook, and Isabelle in here).

"No thanks", I gulped, looking back towards the dotted line.  I tried for so long, to act like nothing was wrong.  I wanted to just ignore it, to say "Oh I'm this and I always have been, these thoughts are perfectly normal for a person to have" and just get on with life.  But every time I couldn't help but worry, to question everything.