(Remake)Judy x Depressed Reader(Gender Neutral)

Requested by: KaelynnNeko

Judy's P.O.V.

It was mid-summer.  Any moisture found in the air seemingly disappeared as the harsh rays bounced off my soft pastel blue and pink fur.  A slight breeze flowed through the air, but the heat of the sun was too heavy for any gust of wind to bring any cold air.

I sat on a small yellow wooden bench outside of my house, chatting with my friends, letting the humid breeze sweep away all my worries.  But, lingering at the back of my mind, there was a thought that would not go away.

(Y/N).  I knew them since I moved onto the island, but we didn't talk much, not as much as we should've, or perhaps not as much as I wanted to.  But why?  Why could I not get their image out of my head?  It was as if the universe itself wanted me to be remembered of their existence.

"Hey, you okay?"  And I suddenly snapped back to reality, unaware that I ever left.  I reassured my friends and said my goodbyes.  They knew this wasn't like me to be alone, but perhaps some time to think will clear my thoughts.

Five minutes, perhaps maybe more, I was never good at keeping track of time, went by before I had to stop to take a break.  The heat was unbearable, and a thick coat of fur wasn't helping much, believe it or not.  I glanced at my surroundings.

My house, a few feet away, looked rather tempting, like water in a desert.  Nothing would be better than relaxing inside right about now, that's for sure.  To my left, a tall hill, with lush grass and small patches of rough dirt, indicating the hill was more often than not walked on.  And with good reason, that hill is one of the most beautiful and relaxing places to be.

But I saw something else.  A person, sitting down, arms back, enjoying the sunlight, perhaps lost in thought.  I thought of (Y/N) again.  I bet that's them.  I began walking towards the hill, forgetting the sanctuary that was just a few feet away.

As I got closer, (Y/N) turned around to face me, their (E/C) eyes glistening in the sunlight.  They were wearing a brown baggy shirt and semi-torn jeans, which made them look a little worse for wear.  But, the sight of them made me cheer up a bit, taking my mind off the smoldering heat for just a few seconds.  Unfortunately, it looked like they couldn't say the same.

"Hey, Judy", they said with a small wave of their hand, a smile plastered on their face, so obviously fake it was like a slap in the face.  Are they hurt?  Why didn't they tell me?  Sure, (Y/N) and I didn't know each other all too well, but we still got along pretty well, and I felt as though they could talk to me about anything.

"(Y/N)?", I asked.  "Is something wrong?"  They let out a forced laugh.  "Of course not.  What do you mean?"  For just a fraction of a second, I saw a look of sadness wash over their face before switching back to their fake smile.  "Hey, why don't we go to my house?  Just to talk, okay?"  I know that might seem intrusive, but I want to make sure they're ok.  They let out a small sigh, nodding their head in response as they stood up, seemingly realizing that their fake happiness wasn't working on me.

I took their arm, guiding them down the hill and back to my house.  I unlocked the door, and let them in immediately.  Once I walked in afterward, I felt a huge relief as I was hit with the coolest gust of wind I've ever felt in my entire life.  Well, maybe not my entire life, but that's how it felt in the moment.  Thank god I left the AC on.  (Y/N) stood there, as if waiting for something to happen, looking like they'd rather be anywhere than here.

I sat down on my colorful bed, motioning for them to follow.  They hesitantly beckoned to my call, putting their entire weight on my bed, which probably wasn't made to hold so much weight, as I am pretty small, at least compared to (Y/N).

"C'mon, tell me what's wrong, will ya?", I nudged (Y/N) playfully, hoping to get them to open up.  I know a lot about keeping my feelings shut too, and I knew it wasn't good for them to keep things bottled up.  They were one of the people who helped me learn that, which made me all the more worried about their sudden shyness.

"I don't know", they mumbled, barely loud enough for me to hear.  I inched a bit closer.  "I guess I'm just a bit confused, that's all."  "Confused about...?"  I motioned for them to continue.  "About everything!"  (Y/N) threw their hands in the air.  They didn't sound angry, more disappointed than anything else.

"Everyone has a dream", they continued, slumping their shoulders again.  "Er, maybe not a dream, but just, something to work towards, some goal they want to achieve, y'know?  They all know what they want to do, what they're doing with their lives."  I listened with a heavy heart, listening intently as (Y/N) went on sharing their emotions, telling me their woes.

"Sometimes I just wanna lay in bed all day and sleep, or do nothing at all, or just think about all the problems with the world..."  They sighed, their eyes shimmering from the dim sunlight from the window.  "All the problems with me..."  I bit my lip.  I just want to knock some sense into them.  Tell them to cheer up already!  But I know it isn't that easy.

"But, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do", they sighed, flopping down on the colorful bed.  Silence slowly and quietly filling the room, I spoke up.  "Look, I know things seem bad right now", I spoke in a soft, reassuring voice.  "But it's never too late to find something you're passionate about!"

"It's easier said than done", they begrudgingly sat up to face me, the sun shining on their face, literally highlighting their nice features.  Even in the light, their sadness could be seen from miles away.  "But it's not impossible."  I gently and slowly picked up one of their hands with my paw ever so carefully, as to not make them feel uncomfortable.

"There has to be something you like doing.  And if not, we'll find something.  I promise you'll get through this."  For the first time since I saw them today, I saw a sincere smile form on their face.  They embraced me in a soft hug, their warm body snuggly pushed against my fur.  "T-thank you, Judy...", they whispered.  I gently hugged them back, caressing their arm.  "I'm sorry I didn't talk to you sooner."

"Hey, don't apologize", I replied.  "You're gonna be alright now, and that's all that matters, is that you're happy."  They let out a small chuckle, followed by a small sigh as we sat there, both ready to try, but for now, I'd rather relax with (Y/N), right at home.

A/N
I hope you guys enjoyed that little remake!  I just saw an opportunity and wanted to do better, and maybe look at the differences between then and now.  See you next time.  Bye, for now!👋