Chapter 60: The helpful prince

Start from the beginning

He went to the window and tested its frame, the hinge barely squeaked. "We can go down from here."

"Wait, I have a lot of questions. And we cannot possibly use the window, this is the third floor!"

Alexi was unbothered. "I can catch you as you jump down."

"That is besides the point. You cannot simply take me away on broad daylight. We could be seen." God knows what the servants would think. She cannot be found running away with a man whilst betrothed to another. She took his hands and squeezed. "I appreciate you coming right away but this is not  the kind of help I need."

Alexi sighed, "My valet argued that this was a mistake. I believe he was right." He pulled down the curtains and walked away from the window. "I reacted on impulse, thinking that I ought to take you away as soon as possible."

"That is very gracious of you, Alexi. But that will not solve this case. I need to break my engagement with Gideon not escape from it."

"But you have to agree that  running away will cause a ruckus, will it not? It will halt any wedding plans while they try to find you. Because there can be no wedding if there was no bride. " He cocked his head. "Or is it the gossip that comes after that you are worried about?" He held her shoulders, "Em, nothing stays forever. People will talk but pretty much later on, another scandal shall keep them occupied."

"It will but only for some time. Unless I married the man I ran away with then the Hanselworth's will never leave me be. We could end the gossips within a weeks time but if I were to return then they may find another way to trap me. They may even harass Lucille. I cannot let that happen."

He stared at her for some time. When he finally opened his mouth he said, "Then come with me and never return."

"What?"

"You can leave this place and never look back. Start anew, with me, on Habsburg."

"Alexi, for a prince such as yourself, that is quite a huge sacrifice. Don't you think so?" Em gulped down. This man could not possibly be proposing of marrying her, is he?

"I shall give you three reasons why I find it appealing, one: I have decided to marry whom I want, not who my father chooses. Two: I found myself deeply enamored with you. Three: I would love to break that knight's heart." He crossed his arms and assumed that superior look. "A lot of advantages will come to you as well, perhaps, way a lot than I would gain. But it is a sacrifice I would be willing to make."

"That is...I do not know what to say.."

He walked towards her and took her hands, "Think about this, Emelia. We could use that incident when Stanley attacked you and you were found with me. I could have my servants spread the word that it was us that night and Damian could perhaps shed some light. After all, he found us together before the rest of the guests did."

"The duke has refused to help me. I asked him before I came here. It appears that you are my only chance."

Alexi took a deep breath. "I can understand why he would. His reputation is at stake as well. But if  we come out now and claim that you were promised to me, the gossips shall be there for some time.  And the moment we sail to Habsburg you shall not hear any of it."

If she were to accept his proposal she would become a royal and the future queen. And all of her worries will disappear. What a lovely notion indeed.

Except for one problem.

"What a tempting offer, Alexi."

"But?"

"But...I am in love with another."