8

Love's POV

"Have a good day at school, Lina." I kissed her forehead and her eyes began to water.

The entire morning I spent getting both of us ready, she hadn't smiled not once.

"I don't want to." She pouted.

"But daddy will be here to get you. Tía Love has to go to work." I sighed.

Lina started to sob, and I picked her up in my arms and walked her inside myself.

A tall, slim, older woman walked up to Lina and me with a smile. "Hi, Catalina. Are you ready for school today?" She shook her head.

"Are you mom? I have many questions. I've discussed with your husband Catalina's tendencies to attach to the older women who work here and-"

"I'm sorry," I interrupted, "I'm not mom, I'm auntie. Santiago is my brother." I laughed.

"My apologies..."

"Love."

"Love." The lady repeated. "I've been trying to get in touch with her father, and whenever I do, he avoids my concerns."

"What exactly are your concerns?" I put Lina down, but she clung to my leg.

"It has come to my attention that Catalina doesn't have a proper mother figure, and I don't know the details but-"

"She died. Her father isn't looking for a new wife or anything of those sorts. What does that have to do with Lina?"

"Without a mother, a girl is lost." She gestured down at Lina. "She needs someone to guide her. Look at her." She glanced down at Lina on my leg. "She needs a mother, miss."

"I understand, but Santiago has done a great job raising her. I'm no expert, but I think she'll be just fine. She has me. Always." I picked Catalina up, and wiped her tears with my thumbs. "I'll see you later, okay?"

"No."

"I'll have a surprise for you if you be a big girl." I winked and tickled her belly.

"Okay." She sniffled, then squirmed out of my arms, and ran to the other kids.

"Her father will be here to get her today. You can discuss your concerns with him." I sent her a half smile and walked back to my car.

Does Lina really need a mother figure like how her teacher says she does?

༺♡༻

I arrived at the office thirty minutes late, I immediately went to my office, but when I walked inside, I saw Lorenzo plastered to the seat across from mine.

My heels clicked against the floor as I went around desk, and sat down in my seat. "How can I help you?"

"You're late for work, Miss Romano." Was the first thing he said when I came into his view.

I gave him a look. "No shit." I said sarcastically. "I was busy with Catalina."

"I guess I'll make an exception for her." He grinned. "I want to ask you something, and I want you to be completely honest with me."

"When have I ever lied?" I muttered under my breath. "Shoot."

"Who is Ian?"

My heartbeat quickened, and I adjusted myself in my seat. "Why?"

"Answer the question, Love. Who is Ian Miller?" He pressed, making my cheeks flushed.

"A friend." I said, avoiding eye contact.