twenty-nine

I remembered hearing the Hulk's roars for the first time as he tore through S.H.I.E.L.D's ship in pursuit of Natasha. I remembered Steve shoving me into a small room, whispering for me to stay quiet until it was over. I remembered trembling in fear, trying to shut out the sounds of screams and clashing. 

What I didn't remember was my heart constricting itself in the base of my neck, the fear for those I loved strangling the will I had to scream for help.

"Bruce," I whispered, as the Hulk emerged from the man I adored so much. 

But there was no bringing him back now. I had seen it before. Consoling the monster within was futile. 
A firm hand grasped at my shoulder, ripping me back harshly. My view of the shuddering green creature was blocked by two bodies. 

A small sigh of relief escaped my lips. Of course Thor and Loki weren't knocked out by an explosion. I had once seen a Thor dare my father to drop a full brick on his head. Tony did so enthusiastically, which Thor, after a small, dazed shake of his head, brushed off. I was sure growing up with 'God of Mischief' Loki came into play for that equation.  

"Maze," Thor told me, his voice quiet and urgent. He didn't peel his eyes from Hulk. "Get as many people as you can out of here. Then do not come back up. Get Stark or that Rhodey fellow to use their machines and get the rest of the citizens." 

I nodded curtly, turning my back on the two gods. I climbed over the pieces of rubble to where I had landed in the explosion. 

"Peter," I whispered, shaking him carefully. "Peter!" 

His 'Peter tingle' must have kicked in as Peter's eyes shot open only a split second before he sat up abruptly, blinking. 

"What happened?" He asked hoarsely, staring, wide-eyed at the crowd of unconscious people around him. 
"There's no time. We have to grab as many people as we can and get out of here. I'll get my dad. Can you.." I paused before brushing off the thought that Peter may have held a grudge with the Tabia incident earlier. "Can you find Tabia and Shuri? We don't need Wakanda declaring war on us. Then carry as many people as you can into the stairs-" 

I was interrupted by a deafening roar. Both Peter and I swivelled to see Hulk throw a sturdy punch at Loki, who simply disappeared into a green-tinged mist before reappearing at a spot a foot away. This seemed to enrage Hulk even further, who gave another ear-drum assaulting cry. 

"The stairs are going to take too long," I glanced at the shattered glass windows that the bomb had entered through. "You have to take them through the window." 

Peter nodded, trying to stand. He wobbled on his legs for a moment before taking a few weak steps to Tabia's direction, who's eyes were closed rather peacefully as her head lay partially hidden by unidentifiable fabric. 

Luckily for us, Hulk's commotion had awoken many of the guests. Some were sitting up, others groaning for help. 

Peter bent down, wrapping his arms around Tabia's waist before throwing her- albeit a little roughly- over his shoulder then peering around in search for Shuri. 

I spotted Tony a couple of feet away. He had begun to stir, his first instinct was, of course, to brush the settling dust off his unquestionably expensive suit. 

"Dad!" I hissed, stumbling towards him. "You gotta get your suit. And those robot minions you have! We gotta get everyone out of here!" 

He stared blankly at me for a moment, a square piece of plaster trembling in his goatee as he he took a deep breath. "This was my favourite floor," he muttered, looking at the surrounding damage in despair. 

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, well the Hulk's just come for a visit so hurry the hell up."

The haze snapped from his eyes at my words. "Bruce?" Tony said, glancing to wear the green monster was repeatedly throwing punches in Loki's direction, only for him to disappear and reappear. 

"Not anymore," I snapped. "Dad! People! About to die!" 

"Right..right," He murmured. "I'm assuming systems are down." I nodded. "I have to get to my lab." 

He stood, tottering from side to side momentarily before taking a few cautious steps in the direction of the emergency stairs. "You're just going to leave all these people with Hulk?" I asked. 

"No." Tony reached the edge of the stairs. "We are. Come on, honey. I need you down there with me." 

"Dad! Peter's the only one fully conscious." 

"We're in a room full of superheroes and gods. Look, Quill'l awake now."

The self-acclaimed 'Star-Lord' had opened his eyes, sputtering as pieces of plaster shot from his mouth. Having built a rather machismo rivalry with him, Tony characteristically bumped Peter's face with a shoe. 

"Peter Q, keep Hulk contained. Peter P, get the princesses out of here," Tony instructed before waving me over urgently. 

"Fine," I grumbled, attempting to jog to his side. My head spun, spurts of greens and pinks coloring my vision. "Woah, not ready for that." 

We made our way as quickly down the stairs without stirring our possible concussions, bursting into the lab after three flights of stairs. 

"Prototype B..." Tony muttered to himself, rushing to a screen and tapping a few buttons. I ducked as dozens of the familiar red and gold suit flew from one of the glass cabinets. 

"Dad, you could have done this from upstairs," I sighed. 

"Honey, you didn't think I never made you a suit, did you?" He grinned, tapping the screen one last time.