twenty-seven

Peter's POV

I could hear the music blasting from my room. For context, that's three floors above the party. It had cranked up about a half an hour ago, and now, my bedroom walls practically shook with the beat.

Turning back to the mirror, I tilted my head. Back when Maze lived in the Stark tower, I'd often tease her about her ability to not bat an eye making people wait four hours for her to get ready. And yet, here I was, contemplating my 36th outfit.

Sure, Mr Stark gave out weird advice. Don't eat purple snow, never wear yellow gumboots, don't buy falafel from the corner store. His latest outtake, 'play it cool' didn't make much sense to me either. But.. Mr Stark had Pepper, right?

I took a deep breath, once again glaring at myself in the mirror. A baggy grey sweatshirt with a collar underneath, paired with jeans was what I'd picked out. Not too casual, not too formal. I spritzed a little cologne around my torso and made my way downstairs to the party.

Was I little nervous on facing Maze? So much I was late to my own birthday party. That girl was not easy to read on normal days, nevertheless her birthday. I never did understand her defiance to the day she was born.

Play it cool. I repeated the words in my head as I walked towards the double doors leading to the party. Play it cool, play it cool, play it c-

Remember when I said Maze hated her birthday (please refer to a couple paragraphs ago)? Well, scratch that.

She was standing on the bar table, dancing rather.. provocatively, Rocket the Racoon perched on her shoulder. He clutched to her clearly once neatly curled hair, which now sprung wildly as she twirled around. Her mascara and lipstick were smudged, green silk dress riding up her thighs, only adding to the pornographic effect.

So, so heartbreakingly beautiful.

I could hear my heart beating in my ears as I approached her. So much for playing it cool.

Tabia, the Wakandan girl, was at her side, smiling widely as she also danced with visor. They both held their high heels in hand, egged on by the growing crowd around the bar.

Maze caught my eye and she grinned, hopping off the table. Rocket jumped from her shoulder at the movement and relocated himself on Tabia's. She flung her black heels behind her back and took my hand, dragging me into the crowd. "Happy Birthday Peter!" She swooped to kiss one of my cheeks." The place her lips touched burned.

"Come dance!" She giggled. Her words were slightly slurred and I cocked my head. "Maze.. have you been.." I glanced around, a wary eye out for Steve. "-drinking?"

"No! Of course not!" Her breath washed over me as she spoke, and my nose cringed automatically at the alcoholic smell.

"Maze!" I hissed.

"Peter!" She whispered back mockingly, wiping her slightly matted hair from her face. Maze attempted to climb back onto the bar but tumbled clusmily backwards.

My senses reacted, arms shooting out to catch her. She blinked, dazed. "Thanks..Pete.." She mumbled.

"Alright let's get you some coffee," I said, wrapping a secure hand around her waist and dragging her away from the crowd.
"Peter!" Maze whined, kicking her legs like a child.

I ignored her, pulling her along adamantly to a couch. It was difficult to concentrate with the flashing lights and hordes of people trying to wish us a Happy Birthday.

"What's going on?" A deep voice asked from behind. I winced.

I slowly placed a pouting Maze on the velvet couch before facing Thor.

"She just feels a little.. nauseous," I squeaked, looking up the frowning God.

"I'll bet," He tilted his head. "Underage drinking isn't exactly brightening for the human species."

Maze huffed from her seat, neck lolling back. I couldn't tell if it was intentional or not. "Since when do you care about human laws?" She muttered.

"Since it came to you." He squatted to look her in the eye.

"Is she alright?" Another person approached us. I sighed. This night was just getting better and better.

"Yeah she's f-"

"Kid's been drinking," Thor interrupted me.

"What?" Steve growled, lowering himself to the same level as the God.

Maze gave the two concerned men the fattest grin I had ever seen her give. "Hey it's my dads.." She chortled. I shifted uncomfortably on my feet, knowing how much trouble she was about to get in.

Thor and Steve exchanged looks. "Maze, how much have you had?" Thor murmured gently.

Ok, maybe not as much trouble as I'd thought. I narrowed my eyes. How come I got yelled at for playing Mario Kart too loud that one time?

"Not much.." She said, averting their eyes. She hiccuped. "Fine. Heaps. But I'm fine! I swear I'm sober."

"Uh huh," Steve raised an eyebrow. "Then go make yourself a cup of coffee."

Maze glanced from Thor to Steve then finally to me with large eyes. "Ok.." She tottered to her bare feet. "I can do this," She encouraged herself. Maze stumbled a few steps forward, arms out to balance herself. "Peter can you pass that sink to me?" She whined, pointing at the bench which held the coffee supplies.

I pursed my lips, trying not to let a smile slip.

"You're sober," Steve said. "You can do it yourself."

Maze shot him a glare, staggering as best she could. Until she placed a leg in front of the other too swiftly and tumbled towards the floor.

Thor grunted, reaching out quickly and grasping the back of Maze's dress. He pull her back up from mid air with ease.

"I'll get the coffee," He grumbled, pushing her onto a seat like she were a doll. She sat obediently, looking up at Steve through huge eyes.

"Please don't be mad," She whispered.

"I'm not mad," Steve lifted her chin with a finger. "I'm disappoin-"

Maze groaned loudly, flopping back. Her dark hair covered most of her face and only her pouting lips were visible.

"Maze listen to me," He said quietly. "I know your dad's not the most responsible father figure-" I glared over to Mr Stark, where he was, indeed, pouring drinks for Shuri. "-which is why the rest of us feel the need to step in a- is that a hickey?!"

Maze's head was drawn back, her neck completely exposed to Steve. She had clearly tried overing the bruise with makeup, only for it to be smudged by dancing. I gulped.

"What! No!" She sat up, hastily brushing her hair over her skin. "I.. I fell."

"Uh-huh.."

Thor returned, an iced cup of coffee in hand. He passed it to Maze who sipped from the straw nervously.

"What now?" He asked, seeing Steve's furious face.

"Kid has a hickey," The solider replied.

The two men, suddenly seeming a lot taller, turned to face me. "Explain. Now." Thor snarled.

I squeaked as they stepped forward simultaneously.

"Guys.. it wasn't him," Maze grabbed Steve's arm from behind.

"A likely story."

"No.. it was.. it was Tabia," She said.

They faced her again. "The Wakandan girl?" Steve asked incredulously.

She nodded, frantic.

"You're just trying to protect the critter," Thor shot me a disgusted look. Equivalent to the one people gave the flasher on the subway.

"I'm telling the truth," Maze stood, sobered a little from the coffee. "Tabia!" She called.

Tabia, immersed in the crowd, emerged, her hair equally messy. "Hey, there you a-"

She was interrupted abruptly by Maze reaching out, cupping her cheek and pressing her lips firmly to her own.