twenty-six

Maze's POV

"Come on, smile," Wanda demanded, pulling her car into the Stark Tower car park. I gave her my most unwilling, fake grin. "I know you can do better than th-son of a bitch! That's my spot, jackass!" Wanda threw her head out of the door to yell at someone who had cut in front of her.

You only turn 18 once. And seventeen. And sixteen. And fifteen. Every age you turn is a 'once-in-a-lifetime-experience.'

I'm not a huge fan of birthdays. More specifically, mine. The cake, the singing, the everybody-getting-drunk-except-me-because-I-haven't-turned-21-yet.

Wanda Maximoff had shown up at my matchbox house, dress and bag of makeup in hand. After much arguing and Wanda using her magic to restrain me, she managed to force me into a dress, heels, and a crap tonne of makeup.

Don't get me wrong. I love dressing up as much as the next person. Unless it comes to my birthday.

Of course, I wasn't really turning 18 today. I wouldn't for another couple of days. I wondered vaguely if that would mean somebody would feel the need to throw me two unnecessary parties. But I had more important matters on my mind.

Like Wanda about to throw the car in front of us into orbit. "Honey, that's Scott," I chuckled, waving at the terrified man in the front seat. He waved uncertainly back. I spotted Hope and Cassie beside him, both eyeing Wanda with caution.

The witch grumbled under her breath, pulling her car sharply away and backing into another space. "As I was saying," She continued. "I know birthday's are not your scene but.. try and look on the bright side-"

"I get to share a birthday party with a dude I rejected twice?" I interrupted.

"I was going to say presents," She muttered.

We rode the elevator up to the 21st floor of the Stark Tower. "Smile," Wanda reminded me. I once again plastered the unamused grin on my face, ready for the horrors that awaited me.

The machine's doors slid open. "Happy Birthday!" An entire room of people, aliens, and creature alike shouted. The room was completely dark, only lit by colourful, flashing lights. Multiple party poppers blasted in my face, Dr Strange and Wong showering their yellow sparks in the air while Thor and Bruce blew party blowers enthusiastically, both wearing birthday hats on their heads.

And the smile that stretched across my lips, as much as I hated o admit it, was not fake. Not at all.

A flurry of people surrounded me, pulling me in for hugs and congratulating me rather boisterously. So many assorted gifts were shoved into my hand I had to pile them into a corner. "Where's Peter?" I shouted over the commotion.

"Yes, where is the critter?" A voice said.

"Loki!" I cried, spotting the god who, for once, did not stand out in the crowd. flinging my arms around his waist. "They let you out!"

"I am officially a free man until midnight tonight. Call me Cinderella. Even had the fairy godmother deliver my finest robes," He outstretched his hands, showing off the dark green suit he was wearing. His long black hair was slicked back tightly and.. was that a hint of eyeliner gracing his waterline? "Did you receive my gift?"

"I'm sure it's somewhere.." I glanced at the growing mountain of presents.
Loki frowned. "I'm offended. You don't recognise my signature colour..?"

I raised my eyebrows, bemused.

"The dress, my dear," He prompted.

I glanced down, and realised, with a start, how similar the colour of my dress was to Loki's suit. "You gave me this?" I asked, astonished.

Loki nodded, proud. "The finest silk Asgard can offer."

"Oh, thank you, Loki," I grinned.

"You're most welcome, young Stark. And I wish you the b-" His eyes trailed from me to something behind my shoulder. "I'm sorry. I can't bear the company you're about to be graced with." And with that, he walked away, finding Thor in the crowd.

I turned. "Oh my gods, you guys came!" I shrieked, spotting the group of assorted creatures approaching me.

"Of course we did," Gamora smiled, wrapping her green tinted arms around me. "Thor sent us a message this morning."

Peter Quill, or as he insisted on being called, Star Lord, scowled at me from behind his girlfriend's back. "I don't know why that picture of his abs attached was necessary, though," He grumbled.

"I requested it," Drax, the tall, patterned alien said. "I need motivation to work out."

"You could have asked me," Peter said.
Drax erupted in impossibly loud peals of laughter, holding his stomach. "You?" He spluttered.

Peter's scowl deepened and he muttered something as he walked away, most likely to confront Thor.

"You look beautiful, Maze," Mantis said shyly, her antennae wriggling.

"Aw, thanks, Mantis. You look beautiful as w-"

I was interrupted by a furry little creature. "Yeah, yeah," Rocket griped in his usual, gruff manner. I grinned at him. The racoon was, arguably, my favourite Guardian of the Galaxy. I held out an arm which he immediately climbed, perching himself on my shoulder. "Here's the present. Happy birthday, Stark."

He pushed a gift, wrapped oddly in assorted trash, from his tiny paws into my hands. "The best stolen weapons I could find," He whispered into my ear. I smiled.

"Thanks, Build-A-Bear," I pat his bushy tail which rested on my collarbone.

"Hiya Groot," I smiled at the tree, who's head was barely scraping the ceiling.

"I am Groot," Groot peered down at me, flashing a toothless grin.

"He says-" Rocket began translating, but I held up a hand.

"I know. I've been practicing," I said. "No, I don't think we can bomb anything up today. Maybe next time."

The tree's face fell in disappointment. "I am Groot?" He offered me his arm.

"Oh, honey, that's ok. I can carry myself around the room. Thank you, though."

Groot shrugged. The Guardians wished me a Happy Birthday one last time before walking away to catch up with the Avengers.

Rocket remained on my shoulder. "I forgot who all these idiots are," he told me as I made my way to the drinks table. "Her I definitely haven't met."

He looked to the side, where Tabia was approaching me, glass of juice in hand. She was dressed in her usual collection of long skirts, this particular one a sage green, and a white, crocheted halter top. A loop of jewels hung around her hips and the usual crystal necklace lay on her chest. Highlight had been brushed on her cheeks which shimmered in the flashing lights and gold eyeliner hinted on her eyelids.

I nearly collapsed on the spot.

"Hey, Stark," She swooped in to kiss my cheek. It took me a moment to register anything as her scent of lavender washed over me, the feeling of her lips on my cheek burning.

"H-hi," I gulped.

"And hello.. racoon?" She eyed Rocket on my shoulder with a slightly raised eyebrow.

"The name's Rocket," he straightened his posture, furry elbow perched against my head. "But you can call me anything you like." His voice was almost a purr.

Tabia smiled. "Nice to meet you Rocket." She turned to me. "Here. Drink," She placed the glass in my hands.

Without asking any questions, I tilted the drink into my lips then coughed at the unexpected tang. I grinned at the warrior who's eyes glinted mischievously.

"Like it?" She asked. "Punch with just a splash of vodka."

"Might be more appropriate to say vodka with a splash of punch," I chuckled, taking another sip.

"Hell yeah," Rocket said, snatching the glass from my hand. He gulped down a large share of the drink. "I like you're style," He told Tabia wiping his snout.

"I have a whole stash hidden in the room," She said proudly, then took my hand. "Come on. I thought you Starks knew how to party." And she dragged me to the centre of the crowd.